Would It Have Happened to a White Kid? Black Teen Handcuffed and Detained, All Because She Used Student Metro Card | Kulture Kritic
Connect with us

News

15 year old teen Alexis Sumpter says she was handcuffed, roughed up, and detained for 90 minutes by police, all because police thought she was too old to be using a student Metro card.

Sumpter, a student at Harlem Village Academies, says she was called a liar and even  flung up the stairs.

From Naturally Moi:

According to Sumpter, a student at Harlem Village Academies, shortly after she swiped her student MetroCard, two men approached her wearing plainclothes. They demanded to know her age. She told them she was 15, but couldn’t verify her age because she didn’t have ID after recently being mugged for her iPhone and wallet.

“They didn’t approach me in a calm manner and they were very rude the whole time,” she said. “They were talking to me like they were trying to show they were superior to me.” A third cop got involved, pressing her face against the wall while the two others cuffed her. The cops called her father, William, who affirmed her age. In disbelief, they proceeded to call her mother, Marisol, who raced to her home to get Sumpter’s birth certificate and brought it to the cops, who then released the teen. The incident lasted for 90 minutes.

This should come as no surprise to those who are familiar with the NYPD’s ‘Stop and Frisk’ policy. The unconstitutional policy gives officers permission to stop and frisk anyone, even without probable cause.

READ  The Epistemology of Race Talk

The vast majority of people who are stopped and frisked in New York are black and Latino men. So, although it is somewhat surprising that police roughed up Sumpter for the reason they provided, considering she looks her age, it should come as no surprise that police were allegedly rude and abusive. That has become a part of police culture, especially the NYPD.

The incident occurred on July 26th, but Sumpter says she now takes a different train because she doesn’t ever want to see those officers again.

The NYPD acknowledges the incident, but thus far has refused to answer any questions.

16 Comments
Loading Facebook Comments ...

16 Comments

1. msconcerned

August 6, 2012 at 7:47 pm

This is a tricky issue. As a general principle, citizens who are minding their own business are not obligated to “show their papers” to police. In fact, there is no law requiring citizens to carry identification of any kind.
    Nonetheless, carrying an ID is required when you’re driving or flying. Driving without a license is a crime, and no one is allowed to board an airplane without first presenting proper identification. These requirements have been upheld on the premise that individuals who prefer not to carry ID can choose not to drive or fly.
    From here, ID laws only get more complicated. In Hiibel v. Sixth Judicial District Court of Nevada, the Supreme Court upheld state laws requiring citizens to disclose their identity to police when officers have reasonable suspicion to believe criminal activity may be taking place. Commonly known as “stop and identify” statutes, these laws permit police to arrest criminal suspects who refuse to identify themselves.
    Currently the following states have stop and identify laws: AL, AR, CO, DE,FL, GA, IL, KS, LA, MO, MT, NE, NH, NM, NV, NY, ND, RI, UT, VT, WI
    Regardless of your state’s law, keep in mind that police can never compel you to identify yourself without reasonable suspicion to believe you’re involved in criminal activity. Rather than asking the officer if he/she has reasonable suspicion, test it yourself by asking if you’re free to go.
    If the officer says you’re free to go, leave immediately and refrain from answering any additional questions.
    If the officer detains you, you’ll have to decide whether withholding your identity is worth the possibility of arrest or a prolonged detention. In cases of mistaken identity, revealing who you are might help to resolve the situation quickly. On the other hand, if you’re on parole in California, for example, revealing your identity could lead to a legal search. Knowing your state’s laws can help you make the best choice.
    Keep in mind that the officer’s decision to detain you will not always hold up in court. “Reasonable suspicion” is a vague evidentiary standard which lends itself to mistakes on the officer’s part, but it is also a relatively low threshold for causation and is sometimes sustained with minimal evidentiary support. If you are searched or arrested following an officer’s ID request, it may be best to contact an attorney to discuss the incident in greater detail and explore your legal options.

• Blossom

August 7, 2012 at 6:11 pm

This is not a tricky issue. The NYPD has been using excessive force for decades. There is no reason to rough up a person for using a student ID, even if the person is an adult. And if they choose to take someone into custody because of lack of ID, they do not have to violate a person’s human rights in the process.

This is the NYPD. America is doing its best to become a police state, and they are starting with the major cities. NYC has always been a hostile place when it comes to the police, and it has gotten much worse.

2. Elizabeth

August 6, 2012 at 11:08 pm

African-American teens are targets. They need to keep them in jail, out of school, and working for the state.

I worry about girls getting stopped and frisked because it can lead to sexual abuse and rape by officers.

Parents better start talking to their kids…and soon, quick, fast and in a hurry. I saw a video on youtube where a Latino youth was stopped and frisked in NY and his friends videotaped wth their cell phones. It looked as if the officer felt up his private parts. When he resisted he was handcuffed and taken away. I worried about what happended to this child behind closed doors.

3. J Mac

August 7, 2012 at 12:25 pm

This is why all black folks need to go out and make their vote count if we as black people exercise I’ll vote . maybe we can change the law. Please black people I’m asking you go out and vote. I’ll asbestos have died trying to vote and all you got to do is sit around and watch TV get out and vote black people make a difference.

• Yoshi2306

August 7, 2012 at 2:11 pm

HUH?

• BigWill

August 8, 2012 at 12:08 pm

I’ve said before and I’ll say again- the only way to curtail these violations is to post online the name and address of these pig aggressors.

4. David W. Johnson Jr.

August 7, 2012 at 2:13 pm

I Wish Father God And Lord Jesus Would Let Me Get Out Here And Start Killing These Racist Pieces Of Trash. I Am Going To Keep Trying To Save Our Race, Our Children And Get President Obama Re-Elected The Way They Want Me To But I Am Getting Sick And Tired Of These Racist Pieces Of Trash Destroying My African American Brothers And Sisters.

5. AMAZINGGRACE

August 7, 2012 at 2:50 pm

@Elizabeth, Yes AA teens and adults are the target, but keep them out of school, in jail, and working for the state, why would you target one class of people? What’s your feelings on white teens, should the same apply to them as well?

6. kmad

August 7, 2012 at 2:54 pm

It’s getting to the point where the very people I was raised to trust and GO TO if I was in trouble or in fear of a situation are the very people you have to fear! And forgive me Lord, but when I hear of one being killed in the line of duty I feel nothing now because I figured they probably did something to someone who jacked their racist asses up. I hope the family sues the hell out of them and the bastards probably tried to cop a feel on a young attractive sister the low life sons of bitches, they unfortunately no longer command the respect they used to recieve.

7. Poettikin

August 7, 2012 at 3:54 pm

This shows that de jure enforcement of segregation, discrimination, and prejudices are well within in this country and African Americans and Latinos need to do something beyond what we have. We need to truly organize and stand against this mess. We don’t live in a colorblind society and everything that has been done to make us at least half-way equal is deteriorating. The kind of brutality that is happening to our AA and Latino/a youth is subtle because its not in your face bureaucracy causing the injustices of our youth. No its worst, its the subtle racist and prejudice attitudes of closed minded individuals with power. And to cause changes to this structural system will take more than casting a vote.

8. Brian

August 7, 2012 at 4:17 pm

Subtle! There is nothing subtle with the attacks on Blacks in America! The only thing subtle is how we allow it to go unchecked!!!!

9. Marvin Blades

August 7, 2012 at 7:06 pm

I hope that this young lady’s parents file a formal complaint against the involved officers. We should stop allowing such improper behavior by the authorities to go unchecked. They must be held accountable, or such acts will continue!

The police are supposed to be servants of the people; not the suppressors of the people. This case explains why many of our people distrust the police.

One of these days the police will realize that we are also American citizens and deserving of respect.

10. mmdccbslm

August 8, 2012 at 12:02 am

and be sure to sue the MFers. bloomie’s bullies need to keep paying monetary penalties so bloomie sees it as his fiscal responsibility to stop the stop and frisk nonsense.

11. blacxkcobra

August 8, 2012 at 9:32 pm

People of New York if u can’t change the problem change to a state where u can be heard, from what I see up there a black person already judge after they are born and I was born in Chicago and move to the south even though in tha south there still racism but least I’m deep in the woods in peace from all that, my father move us from Chicago to Arkansas cause he went outside one night look up at the stars in the sky and said this is where I wanna raise my kids and to tell the truth I’m glad he did, a mind at peace can learn lots of knowledge in order to fight problem bestowed upon us as a African American race but if u stand up for ur self and show people u not a dumb person u get respect, and in the south if u stand up and carry a Bible u get praise and respect, but if u show weakness and ignorance they throw u in jail till they find out they have made a mistake but if u have problem just move away to a peaceful place if u can and that’s real but ladies and gentleman we as a nation gonna have to open you eyes a little more and look at truth that’s around us everyday and understand what’s real.

BLACXKCOBRA//PRINCE OF THA UNITEX STATEZ

12. Just Me

August 9, 2012 at 2:44 pm

I know we are living in the last and evil days, and the enemy is on such a fierce attack from canabalism & homosexuality to political corruption, Is it just me or is a widespread of Racism been more evil, disrepective and down right bold and open not just in the media, but just a walk down the street. I mean, I know that none of this would trump our ancestors being in Slavery, ( even though we still have modern day slavery going on in today) but you would think since Civil Rights times. You wouldnt have racist commercials, and the disprecting of a US President going on. Is it because We have a AA President? And the evil eye of Racism is outwardly BOLD?

13. Gee

August 11, 2012 at 7:07 am

You just cannot holler racism without all of the facts. Yes, it sounds like she was mistreated, but as the parent of 3 teenagers, I can assure you there is NO way I would put my “S” on my chest without talking to my kids first in a diffused situation. Teens feel dis empowered and will often lash out at perceived authority when questioned. I council my kids to always show respect and always do the right thing, but you know “out of sight…” Why did she not get another student ID when her wallet was lost? How can she gain access to school without it? Did her parents follow up with the station responsible…? Again…ALL the facts.