Should a Biracial Actress Have Portrayed Harriet Tubman in “Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter”?
by Yvette Carnell
In a recent article, I made the case that Tubman shouldn’t have been portrayed by biracial actress Jaqueline Fleming:
I have nothing against actress Jaqueline Fleming, the actress who portrayed Harriet Tubman in “Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Slayer”, except that she doesn’t look a thing like the real Tubman.
To contract a biracial woman to portray a darker skinned black woman is actually racist since the act itself is based on white supremacy. Not only should Fleming never have been cast in the role, she should’ve never shown up for the casting call. To do so was to dishonor Tubman, and so Fleming bears some responsibility in this as well.
But writer Kola Boof hits notes in her assessment that I find both interesting and spot on:
HARRIET TUBMAN…. is portrayed as “BIRACIAL” in the new
“Abe Lincoln Vampire” movie….
TO ME….you have to really *HATE* Black people to portray Harriet Tubman as a Biracial woman. It reveals everything about White Supremacy and the “erasure” of Black People.
Harriet was NOT Dutch-speaking or Biracial. And this portrayal is really a “Betrayal” ….it does not honor her image. It OBLITERATES not only Harriet, but all Authentic Black Women.
(1) This is why millions of African teenagers are now Bleaching their skin.
(2) This is why Black women (no matter how beautiful) are being degraded and considered “not good enough”…
(3) This is why Black people are losing their authenticity and their soul.
(4) This is why no one respects Black people—we never defend the honor of our own ancestors. We are letting Harriet Tubman literally be DEBASED in public like a joke—her image is being dishonored and betrayed as we sit by and say nothing.
(4) We never speak up…so we keep getting these Racist images that ERASE us thrown back in our faces. Black women especially are so stupid not to speak up & raise h**l about this *constant block-out*.
Call & write: BEKMAMBETOV PROJECTS LTD. 11600 Dona Alicia Place, Studio City, CA 91604
PHONE: 818-755-0640 *Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
There’s certainly a lot of truth to that. Black people bear much of the responsibility in this.
Powered by Facebook Comments