In this video, Dr. Boyce Watkins and Yvette Carnell discuss the intense debate over gay marriage and the black church.  The video is below:

Comments

comments

32 Responses to Dr. Boyce & Yvette: Is the Black Church Being Disrespected in the Gay Marriage Debate?

1. Colleen Birchett May 16, 2012 at 8:22 pm

this issue is a major distraction from more important matters that President Obama needs to address in his much needed second term. If you follow the type issues that have been before Congressand the Senate this past year (social security, health care, student loans, etc.), they stack far up on the priority list than who sleeps with whom and whether it shoud be legalized with a marriage contract.

Politician of all sorts have tried to split the Black church over sexual issues by making them religious issues and making it look like a candidate’s position on a sexual issue makes s/he the anti-christ.

We need to wake up and focus on political issues. There are much more serous religious issues than gay marriage, like starving the elderly, abandoning the homeless, and starving the children and their mothers to death while not paying one’s fair share of taxes. All o thes are much more serious than fights over gay marriage and these adversely affect many more Black people than same sex marriage.

2. Willa May 16, 2012 at 8:33 pm

Most black people I talk to resent the fact that our struggle for civil rights is being reduced to being compared to a sex act. The gay lifestyle is just not one embraced by the black community. I find it very disturbing that other races and some blacks have a problem with that.

3. Jay May 16, 2012 at 8:50 pm

Why should I care what another couple does? Whether they’re married or not, gays will still have sex. How does gay marrige change MY life as a Black, straight person? Answer: It doesn’t.

• DaTruth May 18, 2012 at 12:47 am

True that!

4. GemGirl May 16, 2012 at 9:18 pm

The black versus gay thing, in my opinion, is being blown out of proportion to keep the media filled with non-issue stories. It’s not either/or — WE ALL SHOULD HAVE BASIC HUMAN RIGHTS.

As far as I’m concerned, NO the black church is not being disrespected. People need to realize there is no single voice among blacks. Our struggle for civil rights IS NOT being reduced to being compared to a sex act.

As a black woman who is heterosexual, I see the value in equal rights for all people — adults should not have other adults dictating how and where they should live, whom they should marry,etc.

Racism is all about dictating our choices, priorities, access, opportunities and options.

• DaTruth May 18, 2012 at 1:24 am

Very well said!

5. cari May 16, 2012 at 10:56 pm

Let’s not get ridiculous. The Black Church should allow the congegration to have certain personal beliefs. Since when do blacks have the right to discriminate against others. We need to get a grip. The church needs to support every member of society like Christ did. If not they are two-faced.

6. KennyCraddock May 16, 2012 at 11:42 pm

Any distraction for those against the president is used to try to defeat him. The black church (if there is really
    such a thing) should stop being an ostrich and wake up this is
    a non-issue.

7. truthBTold May 17, 2012 at 12:28 am

We have to understand some people do not want a group of people to be compared to a immoral conduct. Even though religious groups, many hypocritical, do not want African American discrimination to be dialogued with homosexual rights have that right to be upset. Homosexuals, many, are born the way they are and can’t change, this is a fact. But let us be honest,many adults and young adults and children are experimenting with this act. They are not gay, they are experimenting, why? I don’t know. I am sure there are various and sad reasons and this is an issue we should be speaking and screaming about. But let it be known I will vote for President Obama in 2012. This is the one and only issue I do not totally agree with our President on. This issue is not a black or white issue it has many layers. Let gay people who are born the way they are or for what ever reason have their rights. But let us also discuss , as I stated before , why many are experimenting with this lifestyle and heterosexuals who are sleeping around and spreading AIDS in our community.Let us get down to business and love ourselves,children,and community and have the hard down discussions in our communities if not in the church at home with families or gatherings in homes as a community. Let the President do his job and we do ours.We all know the NUTS he is dealing with they rather destroy this country than see his policies and him succeed.

8. Traci May 17, 2012 at 12:30 am

Willa, being gay is not “sex act.” I do not understand why when people think of gay people they always think of sex? People need to wake up and realize this is another way to separate the black community…and we always fall for it. Can we stick together on something? Let’s move on from this and talk about more important issues.

9. trina May 17, 2012 at 12:37 am

Are heterosexual marriages just about a sex act? Most people probably don’t think so.
    Same-sex marriages are no different- there’s loving and supporting each other through good times and troubles. There’s paying taxes, making dinner, taking out the trash. There’s trying to make sure your boo has what they need- like healthcare (if one of you is lucky enough to get health insurance-can’t cover each other like straight people do).

I could keep talking but the main point is that being gay isn’t just about a sex act like you said. sit yerself down and think about it.

and yah- speaking for myself i respect the black church. because i respect the church it hurts my soul to get abandoned.
    i don’t respect the white church… i expect them to hang me out to dry.

10. anonymous May 17, 2012 at 1:13 am

Why are we debating this issue? The black churches are full of “down low” brothers. The pastoral, deacon, and choir ranks are full of gays.

We need to be debating the 30% plus unemployment rate for black america, police brutality, stop and frisk, and random killings of black men all across the country.

We need to be debating why black men and women can’t get along and sustain relationships. We need to be debating why our children are out of control.

And you folks do realize that white america is laughing at us. Most important, the government is watching us just like they watched Malcom, Martin, and all out other leaders.

11. James Hardnick May 17, 2012 at 1:13 am

the curch is being drawn into this argument because they follow the teachings of the bible. However, the bible does not condemn this behavior, just the need to confess your sins to enter the Kingdom of heaven. The Presidnet fell into a trap where he must defend the constitution despite his religious beliefs, plus he must find more votes since the black population is only 20%. However, since he has made the decision now he must convience the black voters not to jump ship over this issue but continue to support him. I believe this is a lost cause whether the church speaks out or not, because most people don’t want a president that goes against his general religious belief, for the cause they could get him more votes

12. Deacs May 17, 2012 at 1:41 am

Why should the church itself be respected? With all the tithes and donations received by the various black congregations totaling over 24 billion dollars since the early eighties in comparison to the condition which our people are in as a whole… that is the biggest money suck of them all. Money which could’ve been used for the people’s upliftment went to brick and mortar… and the congregation still fleeced due to it.

With all of the other rampant issues which are not addressed in our community by these supposed leaders of people… why should I care about a subgroup of people attempting to gain a privilege? I am more concerned with police brutality of my people.. I am concerned with unemployment which historically has been near double the state average. I am concerned with these closet racist now taking shots at our children for wearing a hoodie and eating skittles.

I am concerned about the stereotypical images which the media accentuates and our entertainers advertise for a living. I am concerned about the racism which has been under wraps for decades exploding with the election of a half black president who believes that this country is ‘Post Racial’. I am more concerned that your children worldwide are ranked eighth from the bottom in academics… which means children with no electricity, no books, or homes basically are smarter than your children who have so much.
    Now with the rampant divorce rate, the game of child support and alimony, the rapid turnover of marriage where now people don’t survive until the seven year itch… how do you claim marriage is so special between a man and a woman when you treat it so disgustingly? The institution has been marginalized long before this debate… most newlyweds can’t even spell the word commitment.

13. Kiki Fortson May 17, 2012 at 1:53 am

This is an absolutely riveting letter from black minister, the Reverend Dr. Otis Moss III on the subject on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=k7Ktjqf9Vi4

14. Peter D. Slaughter May 17, 2012 at 2:09 am

Biggest thing I notice is how they are trying to force black people to accept this,even though black people have been dealing with gay issue in the community for years already wthout all this hype and forcing this on other black people who just don’t buy it completely.That right there proves how shakey the overall agenda really is.

15. oren elow May 17, 2012 at 2:21 am

The Black and all churches should be marching against anything gay. The Gay moving and the media have been using our fight against slavery racist discrimination and Black Civil Rights in support of the Gay Rights Movement. The Black churches have been silence on letting gays use them and saying nothing about it. Al Sharpton who is a pastor, is no more than a devil pastor and one would think that he is also gay the way he tries so hard to get Black churches and Black people to go along with his approval of gay everything. Al Sharpton is a fat, cochon, a devil and no one should call him Reverend! Black folks let me tell you something–you don’t have to vote for Obama. Obama has done nothing for us African Americans. What has he done for us since he’s been in office; nothing. He is afraid to speak up for us, afraid of what his white supporters will say about him. He can say that he supports Gay Rights. But he is a mouse when it comes to him saying that African American is still discriminated by almost every white person in this country and this discrimination should stop!

• onmyway2012 June 25, 2012 at 1:19 am

I will never, ever identify myself with a gay person. Being black is natural and being gay is not.nothing in the holy verses indicates being black is an abomination. No gay person nor their apologists will ever convince any same black person that being black it’s as natural as being gay. It is offensive and insulting to me as a black woman.

16. David May 17, 2012 at 2:50 am

The Black church of today disrespects itself and it’s followers.
    Why is the southern baptist convention being held in Sanford FL?
    The Black church was a meeting place now it’s a place to be seen. The same scriptures that condemn homosexuality said you should sell your daughters to pay your debts.

17. Asar Nebankh May 17, 2012 at 12:49 pm

A little leaven, leavens the whole loaf. Just beause there are other issues does not mean that the issue of same sex marriage have to be ignore. Years ago same sex marriages was unthinkable, later it became a laughable joke, now it is a abstract reality. It is obvious that homosexuality is a violation of the laws of nature while having a child out of wedlock is not against the laws of nature.

18. charles May 17, 2012 at 4:10 pm

Respect? Why would they respect mimics. As a person identified as part of the Black Arts Movement, there were two plays from the 1960s, “The Electronic Nigger” and “Blacks: A Clown Show” that says it all. Mimicing the slave master does not engender respect, just disdain.

19. Norris May 17, 2012 at 6:22 pm

Is the black church being disrespected? YES! But no more than it has disrespected itself. The leaders of the church cherry pick issues. When is the last time a pastor soundly spoke to the fact that 70% of black babies are born to a single parent, black on black crime i.e, blacks killing blacks, nearly 40% of abortions are performed on black females. They are Christians in name only, or only when the collection basket comes around. Liberals want to separate church and state, yet they constantly have their asses in a black church at election time. Yes, liberals minimize the concerns of blacks, and force feed their agenda. I voted for Presiident Obama, yet, I have grave concerns about voting for him again. I see him devoting precious time to Hispanics, immigration, gay rights, talking out of both sides of his mouth when it comes to Wall Street. I am trying very hard to identify one specific issue he has addressed concerning blacks. I am an independent and will remain so. I will not become one of the liberal, talking head, lemmings. It is sad that one cannot have independent thought or opinion with being criticized, ostracized or demonized, or sadly being called an “uncle tom”. I do not support gay marriage, nor am I homophobic. Yvette – Boyce I agree with you totally!!

20. Cindie May 17, 2012 at 7:37 pm

Why are we so quick to condemn gay people who want to live in stable, loving relationships, but don’t open our mouths about all the illegitimate black children being born — “baby mamas and baby daddies?”

The “black church” is so hypocritical, I’m surprised that even more black people haven’t abandoned it. It has nothing to do with God anymore. It’s just a big, old dramashop!

21. onmyway2012 May 17, 2012 at 10:42 pm

Is the black church being disrewspected by DEMOCRATIC,LIBERAL,PROGRESSIVES regarding the gay marriage issue?

IS WATER WET?

I, for one, will more than likely not recast my vote for Presiden Obama. Just as Norris pointed out, President Obama and his administration have spoken out strongly on issues affecting gays, Jews, muslims, latinos, but when it comes to blacks, THE MOST LOYAL VOTING BLOCK IN THE DEMOCRATIC PARTY, we’re told ” President Obama isnt’ the President of BLACK AMERICA, but the United States of America. This dismissive, disrespectful, disregard for the black community’s economic, educational, and social issues is the very reason why I switched my party affiliation from Democrat to Independent.

And now gay liberals and progressives are attacking the black church while cowardly ignoring other groups who oppose gay marriage is ridiculous. If the gay community and Democrats keep demonizing the black church, folks better fix their lips to say President Romney because I will not cast my vote for Obama.

Don’t disregard the real concerns of the black community and categorize that group under “diversity” while specifically dealing with other groups vocally. This is offensive to me as a responsible voter and citizen.

I want the gay community to keep demonizing the black church and community from now until November, ensuring most voters will stay home so Romney can win. FOOLS.

Those of us opposing gay marriage have the right to stand on our priniciples and I will not be forced to compromise them while being disrespected. My vote holds power and I will not vote against my conscious.

• onmyway2012 May 17, 2012 at 10:48 pm

And the double standards are blatant in the Democratic party. I expect the dismissive attitude from Republicans who have no interest in courting the “black vote”, and yet laughably, the Democrats expect blacks to show up to the polls in November while being told to sit in the back of the bus, step aside, or in the mud so others can have their special interests met?

MISS ME ALL DAY WITH THIS GARGABE!! If the Democrats don’t want to address and work on real solutions helping the black community prosper for their LOYALTY TO THE DEMOCRATIC PARTY, then you do not need my vote any longer. It is my hope that blacks demand action on solutions to their issues instead of being strong armed into voting for Obama and supporting gay marriage.

And how come the black mouthpieces don’t talk about the racism within the Democratic party?

22. janice May 19, 2012 at 2:52 pm

It’s not only the black church that being disrespected, it’s all moral Churches that are being disrespected. I’m tired of gay being people lumping themselves with black the black struggle we are born with black skin and that cannot change they are making a choice to do something different and they want rights to do it. They have right’s called human rights just like you and I, but they want SPECIAL rights to get married. Do I have the right to marry a dog? Do liars get special rights? Do bigamists get special rights’? I will never allow gay people to think that it’s their civil right to marry, because it’s not! They are making a choice to get marriage to the same sex and that has nothing to do with their civil rights!

23. HASSAN HARTLEY May 23, 2012 at 3:10 pm

If you feel the Black Church is being disrespected, then mobilize the Black Church to stop accepting donations and Tithes from homosexuals….dont piss on gays and lesbians but spend their money to keep your churches running.

24. peppers360 June 20, 2012 at 11:03 pm

hi, I am not voting for Obama not because of the gay issue specificially, i made my mine up before he made such an announcement of Support for the Gays. And may i say that i think it may pass with or without the Black Consent or BlackVote.
    It a new world the Black Community got to adept to & let us not forget it is the last days being played out right in front of our faces.
    That we are surround by undercover racists of various form & races & even much prejudices among us. Let us stay prayful.
    …more later…

• onmyway2012 June 25, 2012 at 1:26 am

Amen.

25. Bobby G July 3, 2012 at 10:47 pm

I’m not sure why the ” Black Church” , whatever that means . Is there a “White Church” or a “Mexican Church”. Homosexuality like any other issue is a personal opinion. Regarding religion, homosexuality is debased not only in JudaoChristian, but Islamic and many other religions. Its not a “black thing”. It’s a “Religion
    Thing”. If you want to rewrite the Bible or Qur’an check with the
    source.

26. MillieG1 July 25, 2012 at 4:24 am

It seems as though the pressures from the media and other forms of society have convinced people that homosexuality is not a sin and God approves of the homosexual lifestyle. Throughout the black culture as long as I can remember homosexuality has been looked upon as taboo and lately its as though being gay is the new black. Realistically speaking homosexuality is here to stay and therefore we must learn to live peacefully and reasonsibly amongst our fellow men and women. No one should be denied civil rights due to their sexual orientation or preference and its the churches responsiblity to address this prevelant issue as it’s also the churches obligation to address its congregation on the topic of the HIV epidemic that has crippled our communities throughout the country. The world is a different place and we all must figure out a way to live cohesively and peacefully.

27. KC August 11, 2012 at 10:26 am

The demonization of gays is a political scapegoating tactic by the unholy alliance of the religious right and slick political operatives. It is a brilliant and divisive strategy since most blacks are force fed a literal interpretation of scripture. The fact is that the demonization of gays is anachronistic and is the strange fruit of a past epoch. Human spiritual and social consciousness has matriculated far beyond this fear-based thinking. The problem is that The Black Church hasn’t gotten the memo.

Futuristically, Christianity as a whole will be rendered socially irrelevant and stigmatized by its unethical and discriminatory stance on gays and same- sex marriage. The denial of basic civil and human rights based on sexual orientation is an unacceptable spiritual and human rights violation. Christians need to see that the same sex issue has civil jurisdiction and has no ecclesiastical (church) jurisdiction whatsoever.