Spike Lee blasted D’Jango Unchained as an insult to his ancestors, saying on Twitter, “American slavery was not a Sergio Leone spaghetti western. It wasdick gregory spike lee a holocaust. My ancestors are slaves. Stolen from Africa. I will honor them.”

In a recent radio interview, activist D!ck Gregory slammed Spike Lee, calling him a “punk” and a “thug” for his duplicity and lack of foresight. Gregory also said he can’t understand  how Django offends Lee’s  ancestors, given that Spike Lee is the same man who brought us She’s Gotta Have It, and  dressed Malcolm X in a zoot suit in the self-titled film,directed and produced by Lee.

Gregory then praised D’Jango Unchained,  saying that he’d never seen a love story between a black man and a black woman that didn’t involve a lot of foul language prior to the film. Gregory says whatever Lee is mad about is something that happened a long time ago, and he’s happy Spike Lee’s attempt to ambush the movie didn’t work.

When asked about the use of the “N” word in the film, Gregory quickly notes that the film Lincoln used the N word as well, but no one had a problem with it.  Gregory then asks why it’s OK for the word to be used in white films but not black films? Gregory says we didn’t invent the word, but it’s a part of history.

Gregory also said he’d never seen a black man and a black woman ride off into the sunset in a movie, and that’s part of the beauty of DJango Unchained.

Listen to the full interview here.

Comments

comments

69 Responses to Activist D!ck Gregory Calls Spike Lee a “Punk” and a “Thug” For His Criticism of DJango Unchained

1. Dyron Beavers January 16, 2013 at 5:42 pm

I respect Mr.Gregory but his argument seems a bit off, way off. I’m completely miffed at the Zoot Suit comment, If you read Malcom X’s bio its in the book not only that if you go back an get copies of Malcoms speeches he refers to himself, right out of the mans mouth himself. Secondly wasn’t Mr.Gregory showcased at the end of Malcom X,if my eyes are correct he’s standing there with an X hat on? I don’t get it. I saw the movie and wasn’t moved one way or the other but I noticed Mr.Gregory and the rest of his critics (Luther Campbell of all people) have not said a word about Mr.Taratino dismissing Roots as a fake and now these action figures. What do you say about that Mr.Gregory?

2. Gerelyn Reynoldd January 16, 2013 at 5:48 pm

Blacks need to stop fighting each other and fight the white man that’s dividing us. Wake Up. We have whites talking about impeaching the President over gun control? What’s up with that picture??

• Makeba January 16, 2013 at 8:08 pm

@Gerelyn — I agree that this debating about DJANGO has gotten out of hand. Each person has a right to their opinion about that movie. Some Black folks enjoyed seeing the slave come out on top and ride off into the sunset with his woman. But it was a movie. In real life…we are living something more like parts of ROOTS.

And I also agree that we have a bunch of fanatics in Congress and on FOX NEWS…in the Tea Party, who want to IMPEACH Pres. Obama …because he wants to make it safer for school kids and to get some of the violence under control. Of all people …we should want some ways to halt the gun violence.

These same rightwing nuts want to shut down the Gov’t. We should be posting and protesting about that mess. If they do this stunt….we will all suffer.

All that fanatic yelping about the 2nd AMENDMENT from the rightwing nuts…leaves out ONE WORD that is important in the Amendment…. * REGULATED*

3. Crosstown January 16, 2013 at 6:03 pm

Hold on a minute! Much respect to Dick Gregory but where does he come from when he calls someone a “Punk” or ‘Thug”? That’s gutter language. Agree with him or not, Spike Lee is still entitled to his views. Black folk just can not stop attacking each other. Also, go to YouTube to view Minister Farrakhan’s take on “DJango”

4. Crosstown January 16, 2013 at 6:07 pm

I meant no disrepect. I intended to write Dick Gregory with a capital “D” Sorry

5. Crosstown January 16, 2013 at 6:10 pm

Seems the editor keeps changing the ‘D” to “d” and then inserts ** I don’t get it.

6. larry January 16, 2013 at 6:14 pm

I would love to know where Mr Greggory was when Spike Lee had to go to HBO to do a series about Katrina. As I recall tarrantino was nowhere to be found and Hollywood told Spike Lee to get lost! They said a documentary about Katrina would never be watched. NOW we have a white guy who comes along and does what Hollywood refused to give Spike and we say yaaaaaa Mr White guy and start acting like crabs in a barrel. Shame on anyone who does not get Spike’s point of view. Shame on anyone who does not understand that the racism of Hollywood put this movie in tarrantino’s hands . Y’all gone and buy your Ni$$er dolls. I will not see this movie. The best Dick Greg-gory could come up with during Katrina was some idiotic off the wall comments about the hurricane being a conspiracy. Crawl back under your vegan rock.

7. Teri January 16, 2013 at 6:17 pm

If the Elder calls you a punk then you a punk. Lmao

8. Angel2211 January 16, 2013 at 6:22 pm

I agree with Dick Gregorie’s critic of Spike Lee regarding his previous films Especially Malcolm X but Spike Lee is right in his criticizism of this movie. I encourage you all to read Dr. Jared Balls from voxunion.com’s 5 Quick points against Django unchained.

9. Barbara January 16, 2013 at 6:30 pm

@larry

You are right!!!

10. WMJ January 16, 2013 at 6:39 pm

I really like Spike Lee’s work….all of it but I think in the case of his critique of Django Unchained he was a little hasty. Im happy that Dick Gregory is trying to show him the error of his thoughts in this case, but I hardly think its necessary to refer to Spike as a punk or a thug. We need to always check each other but we must be very careful not to heap scorn on each other in this process.

11. ordinarybrotha January 16, 2013 at 6:41 pm

If all it takes for a movie to be good is a black couple riding off in the sunset, then we are as dead as I thought we could ever be!!! We are so accepting of other etnicities portraying our most intricate part of history. What other groups will allow this? When did we become a monolithic group? We act as though Spike does not have the right to disagree, give me a break!! As a people, we are in quadrulpe darkness!! Wake the hell up!!! We are following 666 straight to hell!!!

12. WMJ January 16, 2013 at 6:46 pm

One more very important point: How dare the publishers/editors of this site change commentators spelling of Mr. Gregory’s first name. Explain yourself please!

13. Betty January 16, 2013 at 6:55 pm

I just wish black folks will stop dissin each other over a work of fiction. Let’s deal with the facts.

14. Benny Blaze aka Black Power/9Ether January 16, 2013 at 6:57 pm

Dick Gregory use a poor choice of word about Spike Lee,everyone entitle to there opinion it’s call freedom of speech,but to call him a thug,and a punk is uncivilized, I enjoy the movie to a certain degree!!!

15. David2001 January 16, 2013 at 7:15 pm

I agree with Spike lee on this. I think the main point Spike is making and has made in the past is that white people should not be making movies about our black history. And if they do they sure as hell shouldn’t have any credibility when doing do. Seeing the despicable track record whites have had stereotyping blacks in the Hollywood media. When Mel Gibson stated he wanted to make a movie about Jewish culture they basically said hell no. They didn’t care if he would do a good job portraying them or not. Mel Gibson had zero credibility with Jews. The same could be said of QT. QT used the word n*gg*r so many times in his movie Pulp Fiction that Denzel Washington confronted him on it. QT was the last person on earth that black people like Dick Georgy should be praising no matter how he portrayed black people. I respect Dick Gregory but in this situation he sided with the black punks and cowards in Hollywood that are scared of offending their white benefactors.

• Nixak January 17, 2013 at 2:50 am

You’re on Point. I’ve got much respect for Mr D!ck Gregory career, including his veganism, but IMO he went off the rails here by calling Spike a Thyug & Punk for refusing to endorse {San}Quentin on the QT’s ‘Django’. Though IMO Spike ‘Malcolm X’ & 2 documentaries ’4 Little Girls’ & ‘When the Levees Broke’ are classics- I too was quite critical of his ‘She’s Gotta Have It’, ‘School Daze’, & ‘Jungle Fever’. But why Mr Gregory would diss Spike in favor of a white QT who dissed ‘Roots’ while p!mping ‘Django’ slave dolls, is beyond me.

But then a few Blacks of Holly-weird [who would comment] had some ‘interesting’ things about Spike vs QT. Some of them sounded rather ‘House Negro-ish’ in their scolding of Spike in defense of {San}Quentin on the QT & Holly-weird [IE: QT gives us work, Spike's making enemies in Holly-weird by chiding QT, Spike's jealous that QT can get Holly-weird's backing for projects like this while Spike can't... etc, etc, etc ]

16. Robert January 16, 2013 at 7:21 pm

I find it perplexing that black people still need the approval of white people to validate our existence. We could accomplish so much more, when we learn to trust each other and do business with each other. We have allowed ourselves to become too comfortable and complacent. Why didn’t Spike make this movie. Black actors are working and not being in subservient roles and or being castigated. No brothers being emasculated . I think it was great because it was a black women, that he went to hell and back for. Black people, build bridges, not walls

17. Djoser January 16, 2013 at 7:27 pm

I respect both men, they both make points but overall there is.nothing funny at all about slavery. Granted django killed alot of white people and got his woman back, but the movie is not a good depiction of what our ancestors went through. There are black kids actually running around thinking and saying that it was a great representation of our plight which is insane. What would Malcolm say about learning from our oppressors? Lighten up? We’re some delusional ass people. It’s crazy some people wanna forget as if they knew the entire story in the first place. Education is key, but we somehow get the divided on that. I personally wanna see “the prince among slaves” ( a fairly decent PBS documentary) made into a movie.Lets talk a about how we were kings and warriors. Let’s talk about Timbuktu and Kemet. Hell make a Nat Turner or Denmark Vescey movie. To those who say lighten up, go to eastern parkway in Brooklyn and joke or not acknowledge the European holocaust (Africa had way more casualties) and see the reaction from the Jewish people out there. While we allow laughter like it’s cool. Too many so called philosophers and not enough warriors. We speak English which further proves we’re a conquered race. It’s crunch time!

18. Rasheed7 January 16, 2013 at 8:01 pm

Dick Gregory calls everybody a punk and a thug when he’s mad lol..

Thats just his way..

19. robert clayton January 16, 2013 at 8:41 pm

I am Native American. But I have never been called a squaw man or tee pee creeper, etc.. and I have serious doubts if most black men have been called the N word. Certainly not to their face.
    I think the incidences of that are greatly exaggerated. But I have heard plenty of black people use the term redneck, whitey, honky etc.
    Django is a good movie.
    People looking for attention will always try to debunk something.
    I won’t criticize Mr Gregory, or Mr Lee. Don’t know them well enough.

20. Onesilverbac January 16, 2013 at 9:02 pm

When one of our so called elders/leaders feels you are off the black plantation this is how they get you back in line.

Mr. Gregory, Mr. Belafonte, Mr. Rev Sharpton all need to sit down somewhere their time ” much appreciated” has come and is now gone!

21. Metafly January 16, 2013 at 9:03 pm

Dick Gregory is right. It was so much more than just someone using the N word. That was actually the ‘least’ of it. It was a love story bottom line from beginning to end. It was great. Spike needs to make a movie. Get back in the swing of things and stop riding other folks D!

22. Ish Muhammad January 16, 2013 at 9:28 pm

Lord Help Us!

23. Tee January 16, 2013 at 9:46 pm

Philip-Paul Grimes u said alot in response to this. More than anyone else on this chain. when I say WOW I am either gonna calmly spit fire or that’s all I’m going to say…Please elaborate

24. Number One Chief January 16, 2013 at 9:56 pm

I agree with spike. First of all Spike is not a punk, nor a thug, so what’s with the name calling Dick. Shouldn’t YOU be above that sir. The movie Malcolm X is head and shoulders above Django Unchained. It is and always will be one of the best movies made, which should have swept the award shows, but real African Americans know why it did not. Oh, and by the way, the early years of Malcolm’s life was spent being a gangster, and dressing like that. That comment was a little week, don’t you think dick. Folks, Dick drops a few sound bites and you all have just run with it, because of your personal disdain for Spike. I love Jamie fox, but the reasoning, and explanation he gave in some sort of matter-of-fact way to justify this THING called “Django Unchained”, on Cathy Hughes show, was very disturbing to me. I do not want anyone making any sort of mockery, concerning the worst Holocaust against a people ever. Dick mentioned something about being along time ago. Well Dick! have you not noticed that black folks are still catching the same kind of Hell we have always caught; all over the world. Our Holocaust is still going on, and it was, and is world wide, and there is no light at the end of the tunnel. Our struggle continue, and we simply continue to deal with it, and make things happen for ourselves, as we have always done. In addition, I love Samuel L. Jackson, but there are a lot of these sorts of movies with this language and behavior that he does not have a problem with on screen, but this time around I am not in the MOOD, just like Spike. Quentin Tarantino! Yeah, Right.

Just a note:
    The Trans-Atlantic Slave Trade – The middle passage was the worst event in human history, and it spanned decades. Read, study, and know. It was run, and funded by a intense small group of businessmen who ran the Trans-Atlantic slave trade from New York. 98% of them were known to be JEWISH. QUENTIN TERANTINO, do that movie! then again don’t. We better have Spike do it.

God Bless you my brothers and sisters. We have many stories to write. This is not it.

25. Akbar January 16, 2013 at 10:16 pm

Massa Quentin go his slaves fighting against each other, so nothings changed. He makes millions and we fighting each other. Dick is disrespecting himself but calling the brother out in front of everyone. Have an intelligent conversation with him alone or shut the f up. Your time is over! Don’t ever give a white man the satisfaction of knowing that he can control your emotions. Slaves fought each other constantly to the entertainment of the white masters. So here we are again on the plantations of the 21st century.

26. modemhead January 16, 2013 at 10:22 pm

God Bless Spike Lee!

27. Wende Ntambwe January 16, 2013 at 11:27 pm

All of this sounds like willie lynch in effect!

28. Pat January 16, 2013 at 11:58 pm

I blame the editors, we should hold them responsible for not seeing thru the hype! They don’t give a d’m about controlling the site in a constructive conversation to enhance intelligent discussion as opposed to vile gutter reaction to cause controversy in an attempt to increase readership. We need to damp down hate and rivalry in the hood Mr. Gregory, Mr. Lee
    As much as I repect you brothers…I’m just sayin…please respect the other brother.

29. Delores January 17, 2013 at 12:14 am

MR. DICK TIME IS NOT UP .

30. MODJ ben Eliazer January 17, 2013 at 12:52 am

I agree totally with Dick Gregory,Spike Lee’s depiction of Malcolm X was historically incorrect and Mr. Gregory know this also,Spike needs to get off his high horse and face reality.Is it not a fact that black people use the “N” word everyday on each other.why get so offended,and bent out of shape. Spike are you envious that you didn’t produce the movie?what really meaningful,historical movie have you done,besides Malcolm X ?What is wrong with a black man who is depicted as loving his woman so much that he would risk death to save her.We see stories all the time of non-black who do the same type of heroic deeds for their women.come on Spike take a reality check you should have viewed the movie before you spoke out.

31. corbin56 January 17, 2013 at 1:30 am

Goodness gracious, do you have to put astericks in the man’s name. These people are not referring to a penis. As for this movie, I haven’t seen it yet. However, I am tired of the phrase “the N word”. Geeeze. I guess it’s gonna be that from now on.

32. Joel Batchelor January 17, 2013 at 1:44 am

Wow and I just saw this garbage on bootleg sand its not original or iconic. Those who think it is don’t know Black Film history. And as far as Dick Gregory is concerned correct me if I’m wrong but didn’t Spike criticize toilet paper ( Tyler Perry) and Dicks voice was silent. Garbage is garbage and I’m glad Malcom X isn’t alive to hear an elder call a younger a thug. And what is Gregory defending? A tarentino film wowzers smh

33. Dr. Roosevelt Northern, Jr., Ed.D. January 17, 2013 at 2:37 am

Django was entertainment-it was not a documentary. I saw the flick and that’s what it was; a $5 Saturday morning flick. Spike is a Morehouse Man. Brother Lee is the intellectual who seems to attacks those who may not think as he-like the Morehouse Man that he is. Let’s stay together-we share a heritage in the slavery era. C’mon-Do the right thang; shame the devil! ^-^

Someone can tell Spike that Dr. Northern; CEO/founder avetscare.net gives him permission to direct “…Middle Passage” a true and auto-biographical of what may have transpired in the stealing, transporting and institutionally enslaving of U.S. for economics and inhumane reasons. Said to number 20million plus…

I do agree with Brother Lee; that too many of U.S. only know his-story and not our true history. This is attributal to the mis-education that is replete in our public school systems-that were created by the same oppressors who were the primary enslavers. Be informed! Today read, “Kill Them Before They Grow” by Professor Michael Porter or “Savage Inequalities” by Jonathan Kozol to know what is true. History and not his-story…

Daddy Gregory, Tyler, Tim Story-cuz who directed Baber Shop 1, Fantastic4, Taxi and others, need to look into a true depiction of who was the first POTUS of these United States of Ameica. Mr. Obama will be inaugurated on next Monday. A Black man was believed to be the first POTUS immediately after our American Revolution. Google-first president of the U.S!

Finally, these fore mentioned Brothers and some Sisters out there have the much needed budgets and the where with alls to make this happen. By the way, George Washington was our eighth POTUS. Get real! ^-^ Study-READ!!!

34. Latrice January 17, 2013 at 4:11 am

I love Mr. Gregory but I disagree with him on this one. First, as a elder, don’t call spike out of his name. Second, as a elder you know not to argue in public with another black male ,you pull spike aside and have your say. And last but not least Dick Gregory will not have a issue with the word nigger because the title of his autobiography is ”Nigger”. Great book, by the way

35. Latrice January 17, 2013 at 4:17 am

One more thing, I didn’t listen to the interview, is dick gregory quoted correctly, is anything taken out of context. You know we have to be careful because the media will show conflict between black men where there is none. There is nothing like ”the head nigger in charge” syndrome to get the juices flowing

36. Edward January 17, 2013 at 5:26 am

Spike Lee, is entitled to his opinion, and so does Dick Gregory.I saw the movie, and enjoyed it.I understand Spike Lee, position about the HUMAN SUFFERING of OUR ANCESTORS. What spike should do, is make a movie about the UGLYNESS of American HISTORY, as it relates to black. He would not make any money, but if he feel as strongly about our history of SLAVERY, he should do it in spite of the finance. It could become a teaching film of our history in America.
    Blacks fighting over the film, while the white man who made the film is laughing all the way to the BANK.They make money we fight each other and call each other NAMES. Seem we are still acting like SLAVES in 2013.

37. Derrick January 17, 2013 at 7:02 am

I have been a fan of D.ick Gregory for awhile, but I totally DISAGREE with his comments about Spike Lee, and this buffoonish movie.

I’m also shocked at him giving this white boy credit for this bullshyt movie, and saying, it is the best movie he has seen in all his life!!! WTF!!!

All the shyt this man has been through, and he give praises to a caucasoid male, who don’t give two wooden nickels about him? I’m ashamed of you Brother Gregory, because you were in the movement back in the day, you were at Kent State University when they had their uprising, and you were against racist caucasoids, who treated Black people less than a broke d.ick dog! But, you praise this racist cracker!! He just called a bunch of negroids; niqqas, after he won a nomination for that slave-azz movie (see article). NONE OF THE NEGROIDS DIDN’T WIN SHYT!!!

WHY DO Y’ALL NEGROIDS PRAISE THIS caucasoid FOR A MOVIE THAT DEGRADES BLACK PEOPLE?

If he wanted to make a love story, why didn’t he just make a True love story between a Black man and a Black woman, without the slavery overtones!!!

I AIN’T WITH YOU ON THIS ONE BROTHER GREGORY!!!

• MelaninLioness January 17, 2013 at 10:14 am

To Derrick, I always scroll down to find your comments and read them “ONLY’ others are rarely worth reading and has no depth. Thanks for keeping it very real. One Love………………..

• Derrick January 17, 2013 at 1:53 pm

With a name like MelaninLioness, you can’t help, but be a BLACK GODDESS!!!

Much Love & Respect

38. Spike lee January 17, 2013 at 8:43 am

I didn’t see the movie, but I always had a problem with Spike Lee. I got rich off of disgracing out sisters. I think his movie “she’s Gita have it” was the most degrading movie ever. What is he saying about our women. He even starred in the movie and personally degraded our women. Now he has the nerve to talk about others.

• H. James Roseau January 17, 2013 at 7:05 pm

Spike, I concur!

39. EXCELSIOR1 January 17, 2013 at 11:05 am

If the “ELDER’S” CALL YOU A PUNK…THEN YOU ARE A PUNK!
    DON’T KNOCK THE BRIDGE THAT THAT CARRIED YOU OVER…..

40. EXCELSIOR1 January 17, 2013 at 11:13 am

iF YOU CAN’T SAY SOMETHING POSITIVE ABOUT ANOTHER PERSONS EFFORTS…HOW ABOUT “SPEAK NOT”? SPIKE …STFU!
    Must you be part of the crabs in the barrel group? Just because you CAN does not mean you SHOULD..

41. george January 17, 2013 at 11:34 am

THE SO-CALLED DICK GREGORY IS A TYPICAL EXAMPLE OF THE DIE-HARD “Home Negro” THAT IS ALWAYS REFERRED TO. JUST LIKE F. FANON SAID, ‘For the BLACKMAN there is only one destiny and is WHITE’. The dependency culture that Caucasians is always right would easily send blacks to their graves.

42. Greg January 17, 2013 at 11:59 am

I don’t always agree with Spike Lee. But I am not for us having a nasty civil war with him. I am far more pro Spike than I am anti Spike. He said this was his opinion. He was not speaking for anyone else. I am sure he and Mr. Gregory will come to a respectful peace of this.

43. THE BROTHER!!! January 17, 2013 at 12:36 pm

loved the movie!!! simple said and done,, we had a hero to go and get his woman no matter what it takes!! that speaks of toady as well as the past!!

44. Think About It January 17, 2013 at 12:52 pm

First thing first. What’s the point of having a website geared towards adults and yet you censor automatically certain words. According the George Carlin there are only seven curse words. Yet this site always filters certain words that don’t make any sense. Fix your filters. As for the issue of Spike vs. D__k. They are both wrong to some extent. First anyone Black in the electronic age spitting on or talking reckless about another Black person needs to check themselves. Especially over something as insignificant as a piece of entertainment propaganda. Just because someone was once part of the Civil Rights Movement doesn’t mean they have diplomatic immunity for the rest of their life and can’t be checked. Spike on the other hand gets a little fast and loose sometimes with his film making and yet wants to check everyone else. I’m still waiting for Spike to sit down and explain to me why in his last feature which was good but with one fatal flaw. In ‘Red Hook Summer’ which just came out last year. Why would a grown woman who knew her father was a pedophile send her teenage son looking like he weighed about 90 pounds with 2 gallons of milk in his arms to live with her predatory father, knowing what he was? You see, if you get picky enough you can find the flaws in any film. The structure of most movies whether you study film or not is pretty basic and they all follow it depending on what type of film it is. In most action films there are 4 acts. Act 1, the introduction of characters and their motivations. Act 2, the beginning of the transformation of the hero usually with the help of some guide and the rise of the villian along the way. Act 3, A confrontation between the heroes and the villians sidekick or the main villian usually leaves someone the audience and the hero cares about to be killed as a story blood sacrifice to set up the ending of the flick. Act #4, the final confrontation between the main villian and the hero. The hero kills the main villian and the audience cheers and doesn’t feel any guilt about the murder because of the set up of act 3. Every story has used this frame work since The Odyssey. Every Bruce Lee, Shaw Brothers, Chuck Norris and Steven Seagal movie. They just used slavery to tell the ancient tale of a Heroes Journey and quest which is as old as time. Whether it is bad taste to use slavery as the subtext is a matter of opinion. Some Black people enjoyed seeing a Black Hero with a Black Woman finally and he wasn’t wearing a dress either. Some Black People are upset that they have grown up their entire lives loving white folks and don’t like to admit to themselves that this is how we were treated by what they worship. Some Black people don’t have a problem hearing the word N-gga a million times as long as you are not saying (supposedly) in it’s racist connotation. If that’s possible. Spike should know better than to criticize works of art he hasn’t seen. Dick Gregory should know better than to publically call bs on another Black person without picking up the phone and talking to him first. Who the heck Black is not going to accept a phone call from D__k Gregory? As soon as he said something you know these white folks and illiterate azz kneegras who love reality tv was gonna spread it like Herpes in the blogoshphere. If Dick Gregory or Spike Lee was talking about drone strikes, stop and frisk, 14% Black un-employment most of you wouldn’t have read or even be talking about them let alone commented on this article. Both of these men sound silly for their age. Gregory name calling Spike Lee at his age and Spike Lee an artist going in on a a piece of art he hasn’t seen? Where dey do that at? Y’all funny sometimes my people. White people laughing at both of you.

45. marcus davis January 17, 2013 at 1:22 pm

Now why would someone like dick gregory call Spike Lee a punk and a thug ? i don,t see the connection ,Spike Lee is anything but ,but judging by most of the comments on this thread about that damned movie and how venemently they seem to want to defend it despite the fact that QT is making fools out of us laughing all the way to the bank thru the action figures merchandising etc at our expense it just further demonstrates how mentally sick black people have become.

46. Jacquie January 17, 2013 at 1:36 pm

I respect Mr. Gregory and Mr. Lee; however, I have to say that I am disappointed that Mr. Lee has decided to criticize the film. I have not seen it yet so I have to make my own determination. I have seen just about every film that Spike has made and I have been disappointed by some of them – She Hate Me and Girl 6, which I thought was exceptionally horrible. Still respect him, though. I am a fan of Madea too, and it’s painful to see Blacks in these powerful positions criticize each other — but I guess that’s life. Sure would like to see what the world would be like if we were different and embraced each other more.

47. s'ann January 17, 2013 at 2:07 pm

WAKE UP PEOPLE! HAVE YOU NO SHAME! And the fact that Django is fiction is irrelevant. Django is nothing more than a minstrel act and its depiction of slavery is historically inaccurate. Tarantino has not only capitalized on the backs of those who were enslaved, but showed how African Americans are still thought to be insignificant (with our permission), and he further confirmed that at the awards ceremony by freely using the “N” word with no or very little objection. At least protesters in Benghazi stood up for themselves when Islam was portrayed negatively. That is why many young people and likeminded adults are not sensitive about the use of the “N” word or anything that was fought to gain respect, nor do they understand the cost of freedom that is often taken for granted. THE FILM IS NOT ACCEPTABLE!!!

And yes, I saw it with a free ticket. While it posits a different angle in its portrayal of slavery, its timing right after the anniversary of the Emancipation Proclamation and the recent gun violence in Newton, as well as, other incidents of gun violence across the nation is very insensitive. The only positive things that I took away from it was Django’s unquestionable love for his wife, and how through education, one can take agency for themselves and teach others in overcoming adversities such as slavery. Conversely, the latter, as portrayed in the film, depicts a “white savior.”

Moreover, the film was muddled with so much violence; it looked like two vigilantes taking matters into their own hands under the guise of the law, somewhat similar to Zimmerman’s case and the stand your ground law, and they did so, for the sake of money, the root of all evil. On the other hand, some might say it was a “just war” wedged compared to the war in Afghanistan in getting revenge.

However, the insensitive degradation in the film only provokes and further perpetuates negative stereotypes against African Americans, and fails to acknowledge the inhumanness of slavery, by equating it to a minstrel act in various scenes, i.e. Samuel Jackson’s character, Stephen, and the continuous use of the “N” word.

SLAVERY WAS NO JOKE; IT WAS HORRIFIC AND REMAINS UNRESOLVED.

• bobby G January 19, 2013 at 11:51 pm

And as well written as you have explained that, I doubt they got it!

48. black jones January 17, 2013 at 3:20 pm

The movie was extremely carefully written…….it gave as well as took sometime from all of us……if we take it too seriously we get caught up in the joke that screws us all up…….(the strategy of money making in so-called hollywood)……where the only color is GREEN……. it’s understood we live in a society that tells us what and how to think …. pent-up rage affects a lot of us (especially independent thinkers)—–we waste too much time worrying about a word that we use much too often……. lets clean up our own act or EXODUS!!!! TIMBUKTU the land of scholars and knowledge …..Read ! Read! Read! READ!

• bobby G January 19, 2013 at 11:53 pm

The sad part is that if a black director had made this movie
      the turn out of both blacks and whites would have not been of
      this magnitude.

49. Jack Johnson January 17, 2013 at 3:24 pm

I did not see the movie and will not see it. I don’t think they said the N word that many times in Lincoln. And it was used to damnify the black man only. to keep him only at a certain level. Much like a dog sitting at the table. its unheard of, he can sit under the table and beg for scraps that’s ok but never sit at the table.
    The movie Malcolm X was based on his Autobiography written with the help of Alex Haley. Spike had to get monies from wealthy Blacks to help make that film. Did Tarantino ask any wealthy blacks about the making of his film no because unlike Spike Hollywood put all their money betting that black people would push it over the top. And They Did!
    Spike wanted to make a movie ablut WWII from the the Book

sMiracle at St Anna

50. black jones January 17, 2013 at 3:26 pm

sorry i meant SOMETHING!

51. Jack Johnson January 17, 2013 at 3:30 pm

But Hollywood would only give him $30 Mil. You cannot make a movie, agood war movie with $30 Mil. It was a good book to read I enjoyed it. yet the movie could have been much better had he the financial backing that Tarntino got for D’Jango

52. marcus davis January 17, 2013 at 3:51 pm

@jack johnson
    I thought that Miracle at st Annes was a very good movie ,but i never did read the book.

53. H. James Roseau January 17, 2013 at 5:13 pm

It appears that Spike Lee’s criticism of Django is based on pure jealousy, as his claim that Django belittles his ancestry is baseless. Django is partly portraying a historical time frame in which Blacks were treated as subhumans and continuously referred to as “niggers,” “boy,” etc. They were not addressed with any iota of respect; they were oftentimes chased by dogs as cattle. I sincerely believe that Mr. Lee thinks he has a monopolistic understanding of Black or African American history as it relates to theatric entertainment. Though many Blacks share that same belief in relation to Mr. Lee, I do not. The only good movie he has ever directed and/or produced was “Malcom X.” School Daze, Get on the Bus, or any other movie that he has touched are simply low-class movies that serve to perpetuate the buffoonery that characterizes many self-serving negroes.

Please remember that Spike Lee had made similar pejorative comments about Tyler Perry and Mr. Perry’s work. Now that Mr. Perry is a rising Hollywood Producer, Mr. Lee is probably fuming with rage. In my opinion, at that time, he was simply suffering “Post-Traumatic Slave Syndromes”–specifically the “Crab-in-a-Barrel” syndrome. However, as it relates to Django, his jealously is probably driven by the fact that Quintin Terrantino is White.

I have no issues with a White person showing genuine interests in Black history, particularly when many modern privileged Blacks seem to care only about promoting their individual interests under the guise of “blackness.” Such so-called Blacks, who would sell their race for a penny, have been engaging in intra-racial exploitation since the beginning.

So, I urge all who wish to blindly follow Mr. Lee to ensure that they are not suffering from either unnecessary jealousy or a serious case of “Post-Traumatic Slave Syndrome.” If so, they should consider reading or researching the said topic (see author Dr. Joy DeGruy Leary).

54. jnick, January 17, 2013 at 8:20 pm

Who really cares about what Spike Lee think, a man that made a couple of sub-par movies, he has never mad a movie that i can say that i really enjoyed an would go back an see again, I think he is jealous, an to criticize a move that he has never seen is ignorance an nothing else, that would be like saying i dont like the color red but have never see the color red, he need to just go back to New York an be lead cheerleader for the knicks because being a film critic your no good at.

55. wanda January 17, 2013 at 8:49 pm

I don’t quite know why Mr. Gregory feels he has to call someone, anyone a punk or a thug, especially another man of his own race. If anything it shows how quickly we as African Americans can tear into each other over seemingly nonsensical things. Why couldn’t he have said that he “disagreed” with Spike’s opinion of the film and left it at that is beyond me. Was he trying to be funny for the mass media? If so, I don’t think too many of us got the joke

56. Haile January 17, 2013 at 10:05 pm

I agree that I will try not to say anything negative about my brother. No matter what he is my brother and I love him and I will not say negative things about him for that is what Europeans want us to do.If he does not agree with me he has a right to.Go see Django for yourself and make up your own mind about it. Arhtur Shomberg once told Dr. John Henri Clark to go home and study the European man history along with his own.To me Django will teach some good actual history to those who donot know or want to know, and those who know it will freshen your history about the captor slave vicious masters.

57. What a World! January 18, 2013 at 5:49 pm

I don’t think Spike is a thug or a punk, however I do think that he is getting old and so is his opinions. I found his comments about Tyler Perry to be nothing but pure jealousy and his comments on Django to be another opportunity for his name to be agin tossed around. It hard to have fame at one time and then watch yourself disappear into the sunset. I would like to see him use his creative talents to either write, direct or shut up.

58. Weslin1 January 19, 2013 at 3:05 pm

Spike Lee done got to big for his own draws; thinking everyone has to listen to what he says. They used the N- word in Roots seem like a million times. Using it got it historical point of view. So whsts the problem? Is Spike angry because he did not make the film?

59. bobby G January 19, 2013 at 11:09 pm

Here’s my take on this: first for all you crackers, peckerwoods, honkies or whatever racial slur you feel that is appropriate, since
    you feel that racial slurs somehow dignifies your existence as
    to others. I’m not sure why you like the movie unless it helps
    to make slavery more palatable as a notion that it wasn’t all that
    bad and my ancestors really weren’t that terrible. As for the
    niggers and yes I said niggers since you all don’t mind the use of
    the word. In fact it may be appropriate even several hundred
    years later, most of you don’t realize the magnitude of the atrocity
    of slavery on black people not only in the USA but in this world. Its
    sad that an intellect as Mr. Spike Lee attempts to explain a valid
    point of view and you all would trivialize it as though he is among the ignorant like most of you. I’m sure this is how the striving
    black man or woman felt several hundred years ago in the midst of
    this way of thinking. This movie is fictional. Conjured up by a white
    man who has no affiliation or comprehension of oppression or even
    the likes of his ancestors. I’m not sure how blacks particularly in
    America can support a film as this as worthy of a representation of
    the plight of the black Americans during slavery. It shows how lost
    and uneducated most of our people are even today. Its merely a
    delusion spread into the peoples minds mainly to do just that, give
    a false representation of how things really were in those days. True
    the word “nigger” has a different meaning today than back in the
    days of slavery, none the less the intent is the same. I have yet
    seen an fictional action movie on the “trail of tears” or “the Holocaust , maybe the native American and the Hebrews have
    a more dignified approach of how their ancestors were treated.

60. Know the Truth January 19, 2013 at 11:33 pm

“Thug.” “Punk” those are GOPS/Tea Partier talk if I’ve ever heard one.

61. cheche January 20, 2013 at 11:16 am

Maybe some are not aware that Spike started this whole thing of public critiquing of other producers of color. Tyler just ignored Spike as he should have. If Spike feels Tyler and Quentin and any other prouducer don’t get it….then shut your mouth and do it yourself…thats why Mr Gregory is calling him a punk and he is!

62. Ms Wink January 25, 2013 at 3:22 am

It’s odd how the media distracts us with these pretty frivolous stories when there are other things that are of much more importance such as gun control, healthcare, women’s issues, the economy….. And so on. Who cares if Beyonce lip-synced? at the inauguration, and why distract us with “black on black” hate towards each other between Mr. Gregory and Spike Lee. Both have their personal opinion and that’s all it is. I wish not to be “entertained” during the evening news. Hollywood has never been fair to minorities in the business, that’s why Tyler Perry has his own studios, and does all of his own work. I did however enjoy the movie Django.