Co-Founder of BET Slams Network, Says It ‘Reinforces Negative Stereotypes’

Co-Founder of BET, Sheila Johnson, Recently Slammed The Network -- Saying It Reinforces Negative Stereotypes Of Black People

Sheila Johnson

Original BET co-founder, Sheila Johnson, is apparently still disgusted by what the network has become since she and her now-ex-husband sold it to Viacom for over $1 billion dollars in 2000.

Johnson spoke to the audience at the Carmel Art and Film Festival in Monterey County, California this past weekend saying that the network she co-founded in 1980 currently “reinforces negative stereotypes of young people, African-Americans in particular.” She continued to slam the network, stating: “I think we squandered a really important cable network, when it really could have been the voice of Black America. We’re losing our voice as a race as a result. I’m really worried about what our young people are watching. There are so many young people who are using the television as a babysitter. We have parents who are not being parents and not monitoring what their children are watching.”

In 2010, when asked about the network she stated: “Don’t even get me started. I don’t watch it. I suggest to my kids that they don’t watch it… I’m ashamed of it, if you want to know the truth. Society and government really believe [the AIDS] problem has gone away. People don’t know that this disease is still around.” She went on to reveal the purpose of BET when she and her now-ex-husband initially launched it. “When we started BET, it was going to be the Ebony magazine on television,” she said.

We had public affairs programming. We had news… I had a show called Teen Summit, we had a large variety of programming, but the problem is that then the video revolution started up… And then something started happening, and I didn’t like it at all. And I remember during those days we would sit up and watch these videos and decide which ones were going on and which ones were not. We got a lot of backlash from recording artists…and we had to start showing them. I didn’t like the way women were being portrayed in these videos.”

At the time of the interview, Johnson said she had no connection with the network and offered all networks a bit of advice. “I just really wish—and not just BET but a lot of television programming—that they would stop lowering the bar so far just so they can get eyeballs to the screen,” she said. “I know they think that’s what’s going to keep programming on the air; that’s what’s going to sell advertising. But there has got to be some responsibility. Somebody has got to take this over. Because with all the studies that are out there, this is contributing to an atmosphere of free sex, ‘I don’t have to protect myself anymore.’”

When Sheila and her husband-at-the-time Robert Johnson owned the network, the racy “BET Uncut” music video series would broadcast late in the evening.

Do you believe she is a hypocrite for criticizing the direction of the network now?

Comments

comments

62 Responses to Co-Founder of BET Slams Network, Says It ‘Reinforces Negative Stereotypes’

1. Brian October 17, 2012 at 12:48 am

She is a complete hypocrite! She sold her station and her soul for lots of money, than has the audacity to whine about the new programming? Hey if you don’t like the channel, don’t watch it! Nobody is forcing black actors to take roles on television and/or movies, they are all grown up and can choose for themselves.

2. Derrick October 17, 2012 at 7:59 am

This negroid female is out of her rabbit-azz mind. She and her husband are nothing but money hungry material grabbing negroids!

If she was concerned about the station, why did her hubby sell it? And, if she is so concerned about the format of the station now, why don’t they buy them another station, and make it PRESENTABLE? That’s all they have to do!

Now, this station is owned by ashkenazi khazars, who are going to keep negroids in a slave state of mind to keep them in the ‘light’.

AND, Y’ALL WONDER WHY I CALL THEM NEGROIDS!!!!

• Bahati Sobukwe October 18, 2012 at 7:17 am

Both Johnsons are billionaires from denigrating the images of blacks. They certainly should begin a new television and make retribution for those years that they had BET and used it so foolishly.
      They had a powerful tool that they could have used to educate blacks on their ancient history and their American experience. Our people are ” perishing for the lack of knowledge”.
      I personali do not want to hear a word from either of the Johnson.

• eric October 18, 2012 at 11:24 am

Wow, what a scum of the earth low-life bastard you are!

3. Bands Make Her Dance October 17, 2012 at 12:13 pm

Why y’all be hating on BET all de time? It’s on Pay cabel. People pay for it. It’s not on regular tv. If you don’t like booty shaking videos you must be ghey or something, everybody lubs strippers and want to be one. Hating hard kuluture kritic. You just be mad cuz you broke as hell. If Viacom wanted to loose money dey would hire you to do duh programming. A bunch of old Cosby show reruns anin’t gonna have nobodie watching that boring crap. Stop hate and appreicate. Bet, vh1 are better and have more Black people watching den dis dusty website. How you gone blog hate on a playa? The people have spoken. If nobody watched Basketball Wives or Hip Hop Wifes or Bad Girls they would be cancelled. Why you hate whats successful. You don’t like money or just that a white player is making it. Jealousy is not cute.

• Raheem (The Real Reason Why Boyce Hate President Obama) October 17, 2012 at 4:31 pm

the mind is a terrible thing to waste

• Part of the problem October 17, 2012 at 10:11 pm

I didn’t know whether to laugh or cry after reading this. So I did both.

Please turn off the TV and crack a book or ASAP. If you’re already in school pay attention, please. I can read this and tell you probably didn’t score over a 700 on the SAT or even have a 2.5 GPA in High School. I can guarantee that in 10 years, you still won’t have made more than 30k/yr. S–t hurts, I know, but I’m just trying to warn you. You’re starring in a movie and unfortunately, we all know how it ends.

• Mr. Houston October 18, 2012 at 3:36 pm

This is a joke right?

4. TBens October 17, 2012 at 2:29 pm

It is a hot mess I dont watch BET, my kids dont even watch it!

5. Caramelkisses October 17, 2012 at 2:43 pm

The comment posted by BMD only proves that this woman may have a reason to be concerned about our Afican American youth!! Turn off the BET & read a book!!

6. Malik Ali October 17, 2012 at 3:08 pm

I think at the end of the day she stood up. Regardless of what money she earned from selling BET, as its co-founder she knows what direction that she wanted the station to go in, and where she wishes it was today as opposed to what it is. Don’t damn her for having a conscience. I agree with her, BET is out of control and it definitely reinforces negative stereotypes. Also it widens the generational gap. Kids who watch BET and follow the trends of the rappers and celebrities and movies that they play, are oblivious to older adults who try and give an experienced perspective on life to them. They look at BET as their gospel, and try to pattern their lives after the trends and stories they see on BET. SMDH.

7. Joseph October 17, 2012 at 5:43 pm

I agree with her completely….and I take it personal because with smiles…..I was a guest on Teen Summit with Malcome Jamaal Warner. So I wish they bring back teen summit some positive programming for teens and young adults.

God Bless
    Joseph

8. Jay October 17, 2012 at 5:46 pm

She makes good points.. My kids dont watch to either.. Id rather show thema vhs of shaka zulu… Ijs..

9. John October 17, 2012 at 6:11 pm

It is about time that our people stop to sell their institutions to the mainstream. Essence is not black owned anymore. A part of Ebony has been sold, I could go on and on. When our people are going to wake up and smell the coffee!!!

10. OldG October 17, 2012 at 6:11 pm

Yes, Shelia Johnson is a hypocrite because Bob Johnson’s mission with BET was that it was not a social mission. He was in business to make money and make money, he did. Why should she care now? She is married to a judge and worth 500,000,000,000, yes, half a billion dollars.

• BigWill October 17, 2012 at 9:18 pm

According to your flawed math she’d be worth five hundred billion Lol. Stay in school son.

11. Pat October 17, 2012 at 6:19 pm

I don’t like at all how Black women are being portrayed on BET. Because of this, a White female old enough to be my mother told me (as soon as she learned from others that I had a law degree) that I should be an escort! I was enraged but when people like her never took the plane and has a tunnel vision of how Black women are and is being fed by a trash TV called BET I don’t see how she can have a positive perception of what we are!!!

12. Jahenry2004 October 17, 2012 at 6:20 pm

She is a business woman, and a member os this society. She is no spring chicken so I’m surprised that she is acting so surprised reagrding what has happened to BET! Did she expect that the white executives at Viacom held the same beliefs as she does? Give me a break. SHe is just as much responsible for the negative programming as the execs at BET/Viacom because she and her ex created a tool to broadcast those imagess and then, solely for profit and with no regard for those dreams she espoused she sold to the highest bidder.

13. Jonathan Davis October 17, 2012 at 7:08 pm

I agree whole-heartedly! It would have been a different network if the things Ms. Johnson invisioned actually were carried out.

14. Mia October 17, 2012 at 7:17 pm

If you guys remember Mya was on “Teen Summit” remember? she turned out ok, with just the minimal “a** shaking” I don’t know she makes some good points..but if you think about it most stations that are supposed to be for us are going in the same direction…Centric..TvOne..only thing they don’t play music videos…I mean come on “My momma throws down” really? If you want to get real p/c doesn’t that show promote unhealthy eating?

15. Imhotep October 17, 2012 at 8:16 pm

She didn’t say a darn thing in the late 80′s and 90′s when her and her husband made a killing off the stereotypes of black folks.Do you know how they started? From a loan form white folks to do just what the station has always done. NO more Ed Gordon, Big Lez, political shows like they had in the 80′s and 90s. Its a sick state of mind when all that the ADVERTISERS think black people want when it comes to making money is the most buffoonery, silly and non-stimulating programming on any other network( check telemundo and unavision, they have some good programs for their peeps.) I don’t watch it but i used to. Hey u Tavis Haters, he was the first black to interview Bill Clinton when he was in office and where, on BET, when it used to be a little something. Now its a fossil…Hotep

16. Majid October 17, 2012 at 8:36 pm

She’s right. And like so many others I agree with her. But I must say.. what did she expect? When she sold BET did she think the new owners would share her perception of integrity and responsibility? No. When you give your creation over to someone else, a new purpose and direction of that creation is to be expected. Moral of the story: If you cherish the image of your brand DONT SELL IT!!

17. Real Men October 17, 2012 at 9:37 pm

I really can’t comment, I could no longer stomach BET years ago. I quite watching after uncut became their regular viewing.

18. tim October 17, 2012 at 10:40 pm

Her guilt compels her to make those comments. They made major contributions to this lost generation of young Blacks. She is a hypocrite. They made a fortune but sold their souls and ours in the process.
    Then he cast his lot with the Clintons against Obama.But they are the 1%ers.

19. darryl turner October 17, 2012 at 10:45 pm

I too stopped watching the network when the quality of the programming began to come in question. The sale of the BET to Viacom was in my opinion a big mistake. And yes, I agree with her in every word that she says. The network is horrible and it is another missed opportunity for blacks. Lets see what TV One does, since BET blazed the trail for them…..

20. madpoet October 17, 2012 at 11:24 pm

Wow, this is crazy. I agree that BET is some b/s right now! Negative image after negative image & now their slogan is “we got you”. Right, got these idiot ass kids not wanting to goto school, pull Their pants up, tattoo up their bodies, promote drinking & weed smoking & teach the daughters to be hoes for These uneducated foreign language speaking ingnorant ass niggas! Now, Capitalism is great but wtf reason to sale BET if not for material greed. You’re already rich, wth else can you buy That you couldn’t buy before? Blacks always sell their companies & for what when your already rich? Everybody pimps the black culture! Name 1 black owned clothing company now besides Sean Jean? All of them are owned by others now! Black people wake up, money doesn’t give you power when you sale your soul! Look up This new upstart black clothing line at Dreadheadworld.com, its 100% Black Owned in Atlanta, if that even means anything anymore! Wake Up folks

21. Tao October 17, 2012 at 11:33 pm

Lets be REAL!! The network reinforced negative stereotypes while they were owners …..horaah for teen summit….but how about the sexually explicit videos they have been showing since the 90s….the Johnsons cared about the black community about as much as John F. Kennedy… Its good to see that the monster she and ole Bob created just for wealth is now affecting their family i.e. children and grandchildren….and a word for the “non critical thinkers”….how dare you kudos one of the creators of our destruction….y’all believe ANYTHING!!!

• Bahati Sobukwe October 18, 2012 at 7:20 am

You remember, I do too. They were just as bad as the new owners.

22. Tao October 17, 2012 at 11:47 pm

and yea she ain’t worth all those zeros ….lol…and she looks lighter…..is everyone bleaching these days…..oh n the person that posted that sad attempt at being “hood”….you can’t even type ebonics right…..lol….

“From the projects to the board room!”

23. Foluke October 17, 2012 at 11:57 pm

Her & ex-husband both are hypocrites.They sold the damn network.I stop watching it when they fired Tavis.They contributed
    to it by selling it.You see they did not let Bill Cosby buy NBC; because they were afraid of what he might program.The only
    viable institution we have owned since I have been here. Look
    @ how we could teach & educate our people.I am getting mad &
    madder writing about it.Black people still have no power & no mind.
    Thank GOD for continuing to have our back.

24. patrice October 17, 2012 at 11:58 pm

I see no difference from Bet when johnsons owned it than the bet now. Garbage out and garbage in.Maybe they need more billions.

25. Louis October 18, 2012 at 12:36 am

Well, There are some good and wholesome shows on BET. There are many additional programs that are family oriented. Check out Sunday Mornings and the talk shows.

26. REALITY October 18, 2012 at 1:22 am

Her and her husband offer Black People Comedy, Rap Music, Buffoonery Images and other shows that are detrimental to Black viewers. Then sell the Company to a White company for a billion dollars. Who offer nonetheless the same negative images and now she wants to complain about the images being shown on BET.

Please!! She and her Greedy Sell out Negro husband should just go away. They are a enemy to Black People!!

• Derrick October 19, 2012 at 9:12 am

That’s real REALITY Truth right there!

All they did was swap the devil for the witch, and got the son-of-b—h!

Malcolm X once said, “it ain’t these white folks I’m worried about, it’s these bootlickin’ negroes”

And that crazy coon [monica] has the nerve to desrespect me!

monica, are you listening?

CHECK!

27. Herman Hawkins Jr. October 18, 2012 at 1:25 am

What contradictions. Sheila Johnson had the nerve to complain about the mess that BET is in whereas she and her husband left the station in a mess when they sold it to Viacom. The trashy videos began UNDER THEIR WATCH. I for one do NOT care to hear that she and her husband where pressured by artist to show their garbage when the dollar sign flashed in front of their eyes. Shows like “Our Voices” and “Teen Summit” were cancelled, again under their watch, not by Viacom. Yes BET has gotten worse under Viacom, but so has every station that company has touched, even the vaunted CBS, not to mention MTV, VH1, Nicolodeon. But the damage began under the Johnson’s control.

28. Juney October 18, 2012 at 8:40 am

There should be more black entertainment on TV. BET has become useless to the black community. The old BET had Bev Smith and news–there is a difference. The Johnsons had a right to sell THEIR company and they knew who they were selling to. Together, we can get more black entertainment on TV–boycotting worked in the 60s.

29. fred sims October 18, 2012 at 8:52 am

This is 20 years too late,the damage has been done.

30. Shirl October 18, 2012 at 9:09 am

You people are dead wrong !! she didn’t want to sell it in the
    first place, it was her husband that wanted to buy an airline/
    then later the basketball team i forgot the name of the team.

She wanted to turn it around long before, but he wanted the
    money. So she is not saying anything that she didn’t say
    long before. That is is why they are divorced. After people
    started talking about the negative viedos that is is when he
    bowed out, instead of fighting to keep the viedos that was
    negative off. But he knew the music Industry would be a
    hard fight.

31. Tony October 18, 2012 at 9:46 am

She didn’t think about this situation when they sold the Network? All they could see was the MONEY! Just like the DUMB ASSES in Houston, Texas who sold out the Minority Ownership with Cable TV in the city, for a few million dollars, now it’s worth BILLIONS! Greedy DUMB ASSES!

32. BB October 18, 2012 at 10:05 am

A day late and dollar short. The damage is done. Hello Karma, how are you? Who are you visiting today?

33. Saleem Wright October 18, 2012 at 10:29 am

With all due respect to Shelia Johnson. I think she’s being very hypocritical. She’s asking that networks not lower the bar but she and her ex-husband lowered the bar because of pressure from “recording artist” which is really code for record labels and their affiliates. BET is defined as black entertainment television. It provides programming that entertains “black people.” It always has and whether she wants to admit it or not “black people” have been conditioned to be entertained by negativity toward black people from black people. If anything BET has led the way in cultivating that agenda. And she never makes mention of the millions her and her husband have received from “stereotypes” in television. It’s a crime that she can sit back now and criticize the station when she was a major player in it’s programming. If the image of women in the video’s bothered you so much, why did you glorify it on your station? Rather than criticize BET as if she didn’t play a major part in what it is today, she needs to apologize and work toward a solution. Thanks for posting this. Looking forward to other comments.

34. Aziz Muhammad October 18, 2012 at 10:40 am

No Nation Can Rise , Higher than it’s Women

“Honorable Elijah Muhammad”

35. Jeanette Davis-Adeshote October 18, 2012 at 10:46 am

BET has become a programming station for selling white and other peoples around the world the image of black people that Viacom wants them to see. Viacom’s dual purpose is to program black children’s minds with negative images that Viacom uses to inspire them to become within society. Parental guidance is key in controlling this practice on our children and people. We must understand as a people that when we invite others to control our image, they will take the most ignorant among us to display the images they want the world to see instead of who we truly are as a people. The negative images are displayed as a collective portrayal of us rather than the few among us who have sold their souls for 30 pieces of silver.

36. R.C. October 18, 2012 at 11:11 am

Brian said: She is a complete hypocrite! She sold her station and her soul for lots of money, than has the audacity to whine about the new programming?

My sentiments exactly!!!!

37. Ms. Monica October 18, 2012 at 11:11 am

Derrick you are one “disrespectful brother” R U really a brother ?
    I know you need some help !

• Derrick October 19, 2012 at 9:04 am

@mo: “Derrick you are one “disrespectful brother” R U really a brother ? I know you need some help!”
      —————————————————————–

I think you should ask yourself that question…are you really a sister? I know you love crackers, but don’t disrespect me, by calling me what YOU are…a caucasoid!

Do you like caucasoid boys? You need the help because you have been brainwashed by the caucasian persuasion!!!

What I said about this negroid female is the Truth! Deal with it!

Later, slave!

38. Milton Rodgers October 18, 2012 at 1:45 pm

In hindsight , I believe she recognizes that it was a mistake to have relinquish control of such a power tool to an entity whose only concerns is profit over people. So there is an even greater lesson to be learned from this, that is bigger than money. Never depend on someone else to look out for your self interest , no one can express your pain better than you. All due respect, BET should have been the tool by which we as Asiatic people( The original man ) could pass on the rich history or our ancestors. Instead it has become a sewer to display trash for the children and child like minds to view. Note: not all of it’s programming is bad , but it should be tweaked for perfection, and a long way off the MARK.

39. Mr. Houston October 18, 2012 at 3:31 pm

Yes she is a hypocrite. Bob Johnson and herself both were selling out towards the end of their ownership. If I am not mistaken the netword was sold to Viacom for 1 billion $$? Couldn’t you have sold it to a responsible African-American for less? Or not sell it at all? That is if you really wanted to be responsible.

Furthermore, instead of complaining about the beast you have created, how about starting a new network to show them how it should be done. How about backing Oprah and recognizing some of the positive things her network is about.

The hypocrocy is overwhelming.

40. Andre October 18, 2012 at 4:15 pm

I totally agree with Ms. Johnson, but I also must say that it wasn’t really that better when she and her ex husband were in charge. It’s just a terrible network that needs major help and unfortunately I believe it will get worse.

41. LAWAZIZ October 18, 2012 at 5:13 pm

Malcolm X said it best: “the worst thing we were taught was to”Hate Ourselves”There are no Dr. Kings or Malcolm Xs around.Martin & Malcom stated that education is the “Key” to our Success and future! All civilize/intelligent people”TEACH” THEIRSTORY not “his-story! The schools have lied about Crispus Attucks-Deborah Ganette,Booker T-Harriet Tubman-Marcus Garvey-Elijah-MalcolmX,they even lied about Christ! We have to show & Tell “Our Children” the Truth! All of our superstars must create a new system that reflects our real images; start with Egypt/Ethiopia/Phoenicia/Arabia & The Moors!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

42. jDub81 October 18, 2012 at 6:06 pm

You can’t sell something to someone and then criticize the way he or she uses it! You should of kept it Ms. Johnson….otherwise stf up!

43. NURREDIN October 18, 2012 at 11:00 pm

What did you expect when he sold it to Sumner Redstone and Viacom? This is EXACTLY what they think of African Americans and they have NO INTENTION of portraying Blacks in a positive light. I don’t like Bob Johnson because there are some things that are more important than money,and portraying the REAL African American experience should have been his priority.How many Bentleys and mansions does he need?Just being the first Black billionaire is Meaningless if you’ve become a traitor to your people.She also has enough money to start another network if she wants. I try to watch “Bounce” but all they show is crappy movies and Soul Train reruns.WE NEED REAL BLACK TELEVISION.

44. Ishmar Muhammad October 18, 2012 at 11:03 pm

You should not have sold it! You did all Blacks a Disservice!

45. Bernard October 19, 2012 at 12:31 am

What did she expect? First of all they had nasty videos when they owned the station. If I’m not mistaken, they even took off the most important thing BET had going which was the News. Tavis Smiley was the best thing they had going on BET. I even stopped watching the local news to watch Tavis. Ed Gordon wasn’t bad either, but Tavis raised hell. I suspect some of her sponsors and people that paid the network gave her and her husband an ear full. She couldn’t have thought that when she was selling the station for a billion dollars that they were going to take the station and make it any better. They have some late show coming on now that may turn out to be okay but it’s only on for 30 minutes. I guess that’s better than nothing. Hopefully, it will get better.

46. Nolove October 19, 2012 at 12:51 am

I hate that BET gets the backlash for women acting trashy on VH1. When is someone going to take a stance against VH1 for perpetuating the image bestowed on black women.

47. Samdromeda October 19, 2012 at 1:08 am

I know squirrels and hawks who can give better entertainment.

48. Butch October 19, 2012 at 12:39 pm

Why is Mrs Johnson, just now speaking on this tho? its been a decade since they sold their souls to the devil. Why now? Are her people watching this station and learning bad traits? I haven’t watched BET since the 2001 Awards show. Anyone still supporting that channel obviously has a learning curve issue. It’s sad and embarrassing how black folks dress, speak and act on national t.v.

49. stephanie newman October 19, 2012 at 4:33 pm

hypocrite or not she is stating the obvious. She needs to get on CNN with this message. She needs to get on Oprah’s network with these claims and help to futher a GODLY agenda instead of an Anti-Christ agenda. She has contributed to the delinquency of many minors and has been the source of many adults—such as myself —being led into darkness with filthy programming and UNGODLY behaviors. Promotion of sex and violence is at the cusp of where society is right now and we ALL have to accept responsibility. She makes a good point yet she is still preaching to the choir. The revolution will annihilate anyone sitting in front of the Boob Tube will lose during these trying times.

50. Tyler Durden October 20, 2012 at 8:49 am

Its obvious she, nor any of you have actually watched BET in years. If you all did you would know that BET Uncut and Citas World havent been on in YEARS!

BET pretty much consist of older sitcoms, such as Everybody Hates Chris, The Jamie Foxx show, The Parkers, My Wife and Kids, and movies like The Longshot and The Best Man. (I just literally scrolled through Saturday programming). You add in 106 and Park which show 10 videos a day that you probably heard all day on the radio…and The Game. So tell me why all the hate towards BET?

However, VH1 gives you Basketball Wives and Love and Hip Hop, Bravo gives you Real Housewives of Atlanta, and other stupid Sh*t

So explain to me again why you guys hate BET in 2012?. Not 2000 or 2001, but 2012.

Sidenote: I actually miss BET Uncut

51. Rev. George Brooks October 20, 2012 at 8:36 pm

Both Sheila and Bob Johnson are nothing but Uncle Bob and Aunt Sheila to whites and Jews, and Judases to us black folks. They are only interested in money and themselves, because they should have NEVER allowed BET to get into the hands of whites and Jews, who care even less than they did about blacks. Of course, they were even tied in with whites and Jews while they were there, and did not have full control of what was going on then. The black news was removed long before they sold out completely, because it was news about blacks that the whites and Jews that were with them did not want on, so they bent over to the what the Jews wanted, even then. Even this website in most likely under the control of whites and Jews, for that matter, as is all or most of the black media now, be it newspapers, magazines, radio stations, or BET, TV One, Magic Johhson’s channel, Oprah’s, and the one that Andrew Young in tied in with, and pretending to be the main owner, along with M.L. King III. But they are not in charge of anything, just as Black Voices is merely a puppet for Huffingto Post now, and what use to be Black Hollywood has long been gone. Even Essence is white controlled, and Ebony is heading into white and Jew hands. All of these “Negroes” are nothing but a bunch of Samboes, dancing to the tune of whites and Jews. So don’t buy what Sheila is trying to sell. And her ex-husband is now trying to get some whites involved in some businesses over in Africa, as well as is “Uncle” Andrew Young, so that they can get them a few dollars given to them. They are all Toms and Jemimas. — Rev. George Brooks

52. HGC October 22, 2012 at 6:17 pm

She’s a hypocrite!!!

If you felt a responsibility, you wouldn’t have sold it to Viacom! There are more pressing issues in the black community than aids and women’s rights!!! You knew before hand your video programming was shit!! Instead of cleaning it up and insisting music labels provide responsible content in mass for African Americans – you left coons at the wheel and cashed out!!

You and your husband said “fuck these niggas” and let the whole thing go to shit, then sold it!

I would’ve understood it if there was a viable alternative on cable tv but there wasn’t!!!! You left us with MTV, and they FINISHED off music television altogether!!!

Fuck this bitch and her punk ass husband!!!!!!

53. james October 23, 2012 at 11:29 am

She doesn’t owe you or me a damn thing . The purpose of business is to make money , I laugh strile that, I scoff at the majority of the posters here . It is real easy to tell someone elese how to spend their money . If you are so concerned start your own business invest in your own colleges and universities , give back. Hell most of you don’t even support your own schools , but you want the government to do it . You want to control the message control the product !!