Is Steve Harvey Pimping Black Women By Convincing them to “Think Like a Man?”

by Dr. Boyce Watkins, KultureKritic.com

I was sitting in the living room of my parent’s home in Louisville, KY watching the new Janks Morton film, “Hoodwinked.”  Janks sent me a copy a while back, but this was the first time I’d had a chance to watch the film in its entirety.  I am in the film, along with some outstanding scholars:  Jawanza Kunjufu, Steve Perry, Marc Lamont Hill and Ivory Toldson.

I’d heard the film was good, but it was even better than I’d expected.  Janks did a wonderful job of basically explaining that all is not what it seems when it comes to black men and our relationships with black women.  For example, Janks provides compelling evidence to show that the black male high school dropout rate is not nearly as bad as the 50% number that’s been sold to the media.  In fact, according to the National Center for Education Statistics, black males had a lower dropout rate than black females for the years 2006 – 2008, and actually had an average drop out rate in 2006 and 2007 that was lower than the average among all ethnic groups.

The point in the film where my jaw hit the floor was when Morton spoke of Steve Harvey and his franchise “Think Like a Man.”  Morton argues that men like Harvey have profited handsomely from the black female relationship crisis by convincing women to believe that they are in a dire state of affairs when actually, things are not quite as bad as the media makes them out to be.  I’m sure Mr. Harvey might take offense to being referred to as a pimp, so I wanted Janks to explain his position a bit further.

After I reached out to Janks to get him to explain his position on Harvey, he sent me this response below.  I figured you could hear it right out of the filmmaker’s mouth:

pimp

[pimp] noun

1. a person, especially a man, who solicits customers for a prostitute or a brothel, usually in return for a share of the earnings; pander; procurer.

2. a despicable person.

6. to exploit.

During the closing segment of HOODWINKED I explore briefly the solution postulate advanced by comedian turned relationship guru Steve Harvey in his book THINK LIKE A MAN. In order for Black Women to overcome the dire circumstances and relationship tribulations in navigating the shortage of uneducated, undereducated, unemployed, emotionally unavailable, down-lowing, white woman lusting, irresponsible, wayward degenerate that is the characterization of the modern era Black Man, Black Women should look to dating older men to find viable potential partners in their quest for healthy relationships.

In’ my closing remarks, I state “I’ve heard that before…that’s a pimp”, a commentary that is directed at primarily at the construct of matching younger women with older men, but also at Mr. Harvey’s solution as an either ill-informed, bipolar, disingenuous or at worst a manipulative and exploitative proposition, once again inflamming the fears and anxieties of women who have bought into the artificial construct that is the “Black Relationship Crisis.”

Dr. Ivory Toldson in his piece “Are There Enough Successful Black Men for the Black Women Who Want Them?” outlines poignant data and facts about the state of Black Men, which I would refer your readers to understand that things are “not as traumatic and dramatic ~ Dr. Boyce Watkins: HOODWINKED” as we may think. But moreover, for your African American Women readers I would like to leave them with several points;

1. This whole conversation was initiated by a statistic reported on Nightline that 42% of African American Women had never been married
  2. From the same data set 45.3% of African American Men had never been married either
  3. There is massive industry associated with identity, esteem and ultimately the relationship status of women.
  4. If these industries can get convince you that there is a problem, then you look to them for a solution (Think Like a Man~ the film: opened at $33 million and no. 1 at the box office)
  5. Between the ages 18-24 there are 1.8 Million African American Women who have grown up fatherless. It is exploitive and irresponsible to direct these vulnerable young women into the potential chasm of filling father-absence and void-vacancy issues with a surrogate model.
Would I call Steve Harvey a pimp?  I’m not so sure.  I would certainly say that he is an opportunist, but then again, there is nothing wrong with taking advantage of an opportunity.  But while there is nothing wrong with taking advantage of an opportunity, there is definitely something wrong with utilizing an opportunity to take advantage of another human being.  It’s hard to argue that black female relationship insecurity is not the driving force behind the massive millions earned by “Think Like a Man,” and one would not expect a doctor to find a cure to the disease that is filling up his bank account.
By touting the black male crisis as the source of all relationship woes, we are giving black women an emotional crutch that effectively allows them to become devoid of any accountability for their own failed relationships.  The same way a person might use racism as their excuse for not going out to look for a job, too many black women are allowed to use this so-called relationship crisis as their excuse for not pursuing the self-improvement necessary to have healthy interactions with men.  Rather than engaging in honest reflection of what she may have done to ruin her relationship, there is yet another ABC News special to convince her that her ex-boyfriend probably wanted a white woman anyway.
For the women reading this article, I could save you a lot of money that you might be tempted to spend on your next Steve Harvey book by giving you this free advice:  If you work to be a healthy person, you are far more likely to have healthy relationships.  But if you walk into a situation with more baggage than American Airlines, then your lack of trust will always kill your ability to find true and meaningful love.  Thinking like a man doesn’t even make any sense, in large part because you’re a woman.  Personally, I don’t know too many men who’d want to date a woman who thinks like another dude.
Dr. Boyce Watkins is the founder of YourBlackWorld.com. To have Dr. Boyce commentary delivered to your email, please click here.

Comments

comments

53 Responses to Is Steve Harvey Pimping Black Women By Convincing them to “Think Like a Man?”

1. D.C. July 25, 2012 at 9:06 am

YES!…Steve Harvey’s focus should be on instilling ‘do the right thing” in these men who leach off of women, spread STDs and dropping babies they never intend on caring for. Women never had problems being women. Men have definitely had problems being men once women started trying to raise this boys who in her eyes can do no wrong. Now what we have is an African American community with no men. There are a lot of boys walking around think they are men.

• BigWill July 25, 2012 at 5:13 pm

I don’t know where you’re from but, in America there are plenty of 20, 30 and 40 something year old girls- that should be women in the black community making horrible relationship choices while using abortions as their primary means of birth control. Get it together.

• To an Educated Person this makes Sense July 26, 2012 at 1:25 pm

The same can be said for 20, 30 or 40 something boys who should be men walking around with their paints hanging, calling each other the N word, ex-cons, ignorant, no education < college, making babies and not wanting them, not using their heads, killing others, and robbing, and acting like thugs with no common sense or home training, and using foul language. So I guess making bad decisions go both ways.

2. Barbara July 25, 2012 at 10:21 am

@D.C. “an African American community with no men?” Where did the millions of them go? Could have fooled me. I guess I’m alone with my father, brothers, uncles, and many, many nephews!!!

I don’t think that the millions of Black mothers and grandmothers have turned over their responsibility of raising their daughters to Steve Harvey.

Even if you don’t want to say it, I’ll say it for you: Steve Harvey is an old fart pimp.

3. Whoever Is Awake It is THEIR Dream July 25, 2012 at 10:37 am

I see it from a single mother view.
    I have not read the book nor view the movie.
    “Why not, you don’t promote black folk?!”
    I promote betterment of Self. Having black skin doesn’t automatically get you my vote to promote.

Now, when I hear, “Act like a woman, think like a man”, I hear, “PIMP YOURSELF!” Females are told to act like a lady in the bedroomby “pretending” you DON’T want to have sexual relations with the man in your presence. The bedroom is not the place to put on “more clothes” and be a lady! The bedroom is the place to take it all off and be a woman!
    BUT instead, women are running around in public with barely a cloth on, pretending to be “ladies handling their business getting money”, (wearing sexy clothes in mtgs(selling what?))
    The REAL ladies, keeping the mills running, are called “angry black women”. Why? Because there’s barely a moment to be ourSelves! Not recognized in public, with “the 24hr makeup models” and not in the bedroom to be able to let it all out.

Men are running around “wishing” they had what Kanye or Joe Budden or Ochocinco has. Men don’t want to be themSelvesThey’ve given us that responsibility.

So in the bedroom, I worry about would I want me tomorrow if I have sex today? What would I think of me? There’s never a right answer. It’s a gamble unless I pretend I’m a made up model.

Truth be told, I’ve dated men who would be satisfied bustin” a nut from across the room. If they think you’re going to want to love them or show any signs of genuine interest, they stay busy elsewhere. They don’t want to connect with REAL women, it usually requires a commitment at some point. It requires REAL LIFE INVOLVEMENT.

SO, I hear Steve and others saying JUST by that phrase, to read a mans mind, learn it, be in it, accept that he lives in a fantasy world and ONLY in a fantasy world will he spend his money freely…so as long as you’re in his head, you can get your money.

The rest of us, the REAL ladies, will till the field until “we learn to play this fantastical game of inception—a idea inside of a dream within an individuals dream.

(I’m crying at this revelation. This are the days we willed.)

4. anonymous July 25, 2012 at 10:58 am

Steve Harvey is making a bad situation worse. He portrays the masses of sistah’s to be wonderful, innocent, and waiting for “one good man”. Bottom line is…we know it ain’t so.

His advice for sistah’s to put a man on probation and make him wait 90 days for sex is an insult. Most sistah’s have children all over the place and a sorted sexual past. And here he is telling them to act like born again virgins?

And the reason so many brotha’s are demanding women go “dutch” is because sistah’s think nothing of going out to dinner, ordering everything on the menu, knowing dam well they have no intention of returning the brotha’s phone call the next day.

Steve Harvey should be ashamed of himself. He does not care about women. He is just trying to cash in by catering to sistah’s and their selfish nature’s.

5. mzpattymelt July 25, 2012 at 11:19 am

It is what it is…..from the churchhouse to the whitehouse everyone trying to ‘pimp’ someone for their own personal gain…and just like so many of today s churchs..WHO better to pimp than the one that support you—-WOMEN!!!!…..it all sounds good the approach (catchy title), the appeal (to desperate, unlucky in love sista s)and the motive (to make them think there is something wrong with their brains and that thinking like a man is better!) It all works and the perfect word for it is just that pimping….The pimp–takes the women builds them up, make her think what he say do is what will work for her and in the end he gets paid and she is only geting F%&*#@! So who really benefits? THE PIMP!!! lol

6. In my right mind July 25, 2012 at 11:32 am

I’m not a fan of Steve Harvey and probably never will be … I’m not sure if I would call him a pimp – I definitely don’t call him qualified to tell a woman how to think. Personally, I’m not one of the black women that view him as the last great hope for single black women. For me, a man has to be of good character, in or have had a healthy relationship at some point to advise me how to think or act to get a man. And if your past relationships haven’t been healthy, at least you’ve learned from it, worked thru it and became a better man, not perfect, but better. What happened to thinking with empathy, kindness and compassion? Since none of us are perfect, maybe we should try meeting and dating with an open heart and MIND – I’m not sure if any of the black women that buy into his theory are taking into account Steve’s sorted past – failed marriages, failed relationship and his current wife (who left her ex-drug dealer man when he went to jail to find another gravy train). My question is… who is this man to give advice… sure take heed to his word if you’re looking for “that” type of man. Personally, I didn’t have to think like a man to get a real man… I only had to be me, fabulous, feminine and emotionally and financially free, spiritually and physically it! And yes, I got him!!!

7. Robert July 25, 2012 at 11:36 am

Once a Black Man excepts the Responsibility of a MAN HE SHOULD HAVE EXPERIENCED HIS LIFE BECOME EASIER, MINE DID. wOMEN LOVE THE WAY I RESPECT THEM,EVERY WHERE I’VE TRAVELED IN THE WORLD,9 DIFFERENT COUNTRIES IN THE PAST 35 YEARS. IT WORKED EVERYWHERE. If the only experience you have is LIFE IN AMERICA,WHAT ARE YOU COMPARING IT TO? This is all you know from your experience. The more knowledge you have of any thing the better it can serve you and you can serve as you receive. Life is simple,start enjoying it and helping someone enjoy theres and problems will swiftly delt with because enjoying Life is to good to miss out.

8. Carl July 25, 2012 at 12:39 pm

When a man comes across a woman who thinks like a man, he should run like hell! Women thinking like men is not attractive and not conducive to healthy heterosexual relationships.

9. Len July 25, 2012 at 12:40 pm

Why in the hell would I want a woman who thinks like a man? We’d never get anything done, be at each other’s throats, and have never ending arguments… hmmmm… maybe that’s been the PROBLEM all along?

10. Keith July 25, 2012 at 12:42 pm

You are right on point. Steve Harvey has ALWAYS been an opportunist and money has AWAYS been the driving force. I remember when he first came on air in the Los Angeles market and and it seemed like every celebrity interview he conducted who were working on a project, he was always had his hand out begging them to give him a slot on their project. I once met Steve Harvey and a NABJ Convention, and he was a bit arrogant, along with his bodyguards. Who’s even worse is his side-kick Cedric the Entertainer. Cedric is so arrogant, it make you want to laugh because he is a class “C” entertainer. Anyway, I have always thought the the statistic were off base when it came to black men. While I do acknowledge the Black men have issues, I also realize that their is a movement in White America to tear us down, even if it means bending the truth.

11. DIABLO July 25, 2012 at 1:04 pm

steve harvey is an entertainer /comedian stop blaming him because you bitches cant get a man

• CB July 25, 2012 at 1:57 pm

I must concurr it’s entertainment. Mr. Harvey is an entertainer he is in business to make money. This is entertainment that started a conversation and that is a positive. For those of you who are critical of Mr. Harvey you need to to look at those people of color who have sold there soul to the highest bidder. It is these individuals of color who practice self hatred and actively assist those who practice and perpetuate hate.

• To an Educated Person this makes Sense July 26, 2012 at 1:30 pm

But what real man would call a woman a Bitch???? I am confused, it appears that little boys are all up and down this thread…..you wonder why women dont have respect for men now, because there aren’t anymore men out here. Only little boys acting or trying to act like men….Diablo, you owe every woman on this board an apology for that comment. Accountability is the key….If I am wrong, then someone correct me, but do it in a sensible manner

• ruserious July 27, 2012 at 10:06 am

boyce called mellisa harris perry a whore…where is your outrage for that?

12. Pam July 25, 2012 at 2:21 pm

Harvey is a joke, when he says “think like a man” I think he’s asking women to become lesbians.

13. Phillip Battle July 25, 2012 at 2:39 pm

I ain’t mad at Mr. Harvey- he’s playing the game and getting paid.
    Now-he also gives some back -his camps and foundations,and other charities he lends his name to. The major casualties are the Black women-her concept of her role in our American culture- has indirectly directly caused her to be in a state of retardation. I say that to say-that to many have jumped on the wagon of emulating the role of the White woman -who has been caught in the mix of being abused by the oppressor also. The historic use of the Black woman by the oppressor-voluntary or involuntary may have deranged her into thinking that the Black man-in regardless of the limited opportunities that are available to him in this corporate controlled environment we live in-and control none of it- (Harvey and his rich slick talking boys just may join hands and own something that employes by the tens of thousands) maybe a factor of her understanding her Black brother and work with him in order to have a healthy relationship versus a father and daughter one. And-stop looking like a lady of the night-so you won’t be approached as though you are.

Boycott Christmas 2012

14. Phillip Battle July 25, 2012 at 2:39 pm

I ain’t mad at Mr. Harvey- he’s playing the game and getting paid.

Boycott Christmas 2012

15. DOCMEB July 25, 2012 at 3:46 pm

He is selling a book…He will say any thing…

16. Toussaint Ellington Cooke July 25, 2012 at 3:48 pm

Steve Harvey;
    Steve Harvey’s “embracing ignorance” on live radio each day turns my stomach. I always thought that a radio personality should speak with intelligence and deliver the English language in a respectful, coherent manner, and Mr. Harvey does none of the above, as he seems dedicated to speaking Ebonics and buffoonery. As for the movie, I thought it was trash, displayed terrible acting, terribly paced, and surely takes advantage of the lack of artistic/historical sophistication the masses suffer from.
    For example, as people of African descent, we have a rich historical (and even contemporary) body of work/accomplishments from which to pull and be inspired by when it comes to making movies. Yet we refuse (with the exception of Spike Lee and other independent movie producers) to delve into our collective experiences to produce quality, well made, culturally relevant films. Where are the films about the Civil War, WEB Dubois, Marcus Garvey, Paul Robeson, Ida B. Wells, the Haitian Revolution, the Ghanaian Independence movement, Sammy Davis Jr., Duke Ellington, Jimi Hendrix, the Montgomery Boycott movement, the Harlem Globetrotters, Ossie Davis & Ruby Dee, Oscar Micheaux, Sam Cooke, Marvin Gaye, Curt Flood, Sugar Ray Robinson, the Harlem Renaissance, the Black Arts movement and so many more stories, but all we keep doing is Madea Pts1, 2, 3, 4,5 6,, and Black Romantic comedies; if I see another Black romantic comedy with Gabriel Union, Morris Chestnut, Anthony Anderson and other stereotyped Black actors, I’m gonna puke! We can do better.
    And of course Steve Harvey is utilizing his celebrity/fame to manipulate the sensibilities of an oppressed mass of people (especially Black women) who are aching to engage in fantasy as real life as “personal responsibility” is too hard to deal with.
    In closing, I’d say to Black women looking for answers; engage in a life-long process of self-mastery, self discovery, and self-development, and stop spoiling Black men; you will attract who and what you are and what you represent. A strong Black woman makes no excuses for her man and “respectfully” challenges him to become better and to grow up.

17. David W. Johnson Jr. July 25, 2012 at 4:36 pm

America Is Full Of Fake Pieces Of No Good So-Called African American Men That’s Nothing But “nigger males.” That’s Why Our Race, Our Children & Our Women Are Suffering. They Don’t Have No Where Near Enough REAL AFRICAN AMERICAN MEN In Their Lives. Everything From Pastors, Priest, Fathers, Grandfathers, Uncles Out There Raping And Molesting Our Young Children & Elderly Women.

I Am Doing God’s Work But I Wish Father God & Lord Jesus Would Bless Me To Start Killing These Satan Supporting Pieces Of Trash.

18. Antoine July 25, 2012 at 4:52 pm

You’re really going to put this man on blast without allowing him the opportunity of defense? You are in a position where you could easily contact Mr. Harvey and present your argument and allow him to respond BEFORE you pose the question of whether he is or is not a “pimp”. I think this article is careless by no stretch of the imagination.

The concept of “Think Like a Man, Act like a Lady” is what the title says. It may be embraced by our sistas, but it applies across the color line. In fact, more dudes hate the book for the simple fact that it allows women to peer into the mindframe of men in the dating scene. It is letting the cat out of the bag and forcing the fellas to think and/or act differently to achieve the same or different goals. To acquaint this with pimping is foolish and I would think below anyone who considers themselves a scholar.

The man makes it clear he is coming from his own observation of being father of 3 daughters, 2 sons and a husband. Observation of friends and family (both good and bad) and putting those observations to pen and paper. Who can argue that a woman armed with a knowledge of how men think and why we do what we do, is not in a better position to secure a quality mate and hold him accountable to her, his core values and their relationship? I can not see how providing that insight is pimping, unless you are just angry he is profitting by the sharing of that information.

Lastly, it was WOMEN who kept prompting him to write the thing. After that, it took on a life of its own. Stop hating and get your own.

• Janamar July 25, 2012 at 9:01 pm

Thank you Antoine.

• Jenee July 26, 2012 at 12:47 pm

A-MAN. THANK YOU

19. Samdromeda July 25, 2012 at 5:43 pm

Janks needs to read Franz Fanon. All authors pimp the readers wallets for access to the readers mind. A book or a movie is an invite to a lecture or presentation for a nominal fee. There has to be a tremendous power differential for pimping to take place. It actually demands that the pimped hand their power to the exploitative pimp. Judging from some of the comments here the impact of this article exhibits the power of suggestion. Prosecutors would love to have such minds on their juries.
    Radio personalities are just that, personalities that are entertainers. They are the princes and powers of the air. When controversy arises they will let you know that they are entertainers and the responsibility lies with the listener to live a real life.
    There is a danger in the process of objectification in which you apply the label of pimp. Deprivation of character comes to mind.
    As for the “Oppressed Mass of People,” envy not the oppressor nor choose any of his ways. Those who understand oppression develop the wisdom to avoid being manipulated. Learn from the big names of the past but do not worship them as gods. They would be offended by that. They would want you to do right and overcome all your fears and be selfless givers. Therein lies the real power.

20. craig jones July 25, 2012 at 11:18 pm

Steve Harvey is a master pimp. Anyone drenched in ignorance such as Mr Harvey who can convince people of good sense to listen, emulate or follow his advice in any way is truly a pimp. I am fascinated on how the souls of black folk are so ready to be bamboozled by individuals who lack substance in cheap ill fitting suits

21. Mrs. J July 26, 2012 at 11:49 am

i actually read Steve harvey’s book. And yes, i saw the movie too. I am in agreement with Antoine, Jamar, and Soundremedia. Steve Harvey a pimp because h wrote a book about relationships!? Absolutely absurd! Janks is a film maker…does that make hm a pimp? Brothers, you ae talking about being respectful apparently and you are truly lacking respect for Steve Harvey man-to-man. There are truly relationship issues for men and women irregardless of color. You could call every person who has ever written about them or voiced their opinion about relationships a pimp. Truly, I do not remember any reference to younger women dating an older man which I guess is the basis you are using for Harvery being a pimp. You are really stretching it. Frankly, I don’t remember that part of the book if it’s there. But there are old adages that mother’s have told their daughters for decades like”keep your legs closed”. What is wrong with waiting to have sex even until marriage or at least until the relatinship is solid? I am disappointed in your lack of moral fortitude. Is it messing up your game or are you just jealous? Hopefully not. There is room for all opinions. I am always amazed at our being so critical of each other. For example, you can go to China town in any city and there will be 3 restaurants iin a row and apparently they are all getting business. They are not putting each other down. Why do we do so much of that? I’m just asking?

22. abdul July 26, 2012 at 3:52 pm

whatever

23. Knowledge July 26, 2012 at 4:55 pm

When I make a comment for or against anyone or thing. First, I look at me…what I have done or is doing to solve a problem or help others. Second, I look at the contributions of those who have so much to say about an issue and also those who condemn what others do or contribute or don’t contribute to improve our communities and race. I say all that to say…I look at facts…my facts about Mr. Harvey is that he is not only a business man & a comedian but he does contribute to his community. Although I’ve never went to any of his shows or know enough about his personal life to degrade him or condemn him to hell for his mistakes in life…however, I do know that he does more than just talk he shows action..he is helping our young men become and understand manhood with his outreach programs in Floridia..check his website…as far as his book..”Think Like a Man”..most of you don’t have the third eye to read between the lines..he don’t mean for a woman to literally think like a man..what he is saying is for us to understand the thinking of a man..why men do what they do..we has women to often downgrade ourselves to be with a man..some of us don’t have self esteem or self respect…that facts..I’ve personally been through negative, harmful, violent relationships as a young and older woman..its a fact that many men play on our insecurities and low self esteem..of course it works both ways..men are treated bad as well..we do have serious relationship problems…if you take the time to listen to why he write the book and speaks directly to women is because he has daughters..and he knows the games that SOME, NOT ALL, MEN PLAY…I’ve been naive as well….it’s a fact that men & women do not think allike..it’s a fact that women are more emotional than men..it’s a fact that some of us real women what a relationship & but get caught up in the wrong situations .. it’s a fact that because of our need to want a man in our life..we lay down before we really should…there nothing wrong with waiting..not that it will make a difference..but with all the promiscuity and diseases we should want to..I am 50 & and have no time for kiddy games…I want to meet that special man, date..which seems to be almost obsolete…see if we have the same goals, morals & values but too many men what to hit the sack first..what a women to go down on them..I’m a women so I can speak on this..However, coming from men..I here the same thing..so it bad on both sides..we get it on the same token..I think he also has a book for men..but since so many women act show themselves to be so deperate for a man…and do stuff that’ll make you head turn..his books is directed at us and I think him for it because I was as I said, naive about things.. a female can never think like man unless she wants to be a dike whatever you call them or TRY TO ACT LIKE A MAN..but a women can not act like a man so for those of you who can’t read between the lines..please try to open your mind and third eye..God gave us a brain to use..not to abuse..and I need to say something to Dr. Boyce, Tavis, & Cornel..what have you don lately? What are you doing for our young black boys…do you have a mentoring program where black youth from our communities can be signed up and be sent to Florida…receive workshops, be in mentoring programs & workshops..instead of always talking down and trying to make some else look bad..you should be helping the problems and not contributing to the problem..it’s easy to say something against some else..I don’t agree with everything President Obama is doing but guest what he’s bold enough to try to do something….why have you not ran for President..Mr. Tavis & Cornel.. it’s easy to sit in your offices or on TV and interview people instead of being in the line of fire…so when I hear something for or against someone..I check out what they are doing and that’s my advice to everyone on this network…we should be resolving the problems instead of being apart of the problem..one other thing…yes we women are disrepected as well..the media made us out to be sex objects and many of us accept that as law..remember the phase “use what you got to get what you want” I get disgusted when go to clubs..I like to party and dance sometimes..I’m from the “O School .. but have inform most of the men that I don’t care to be sexed on the floor..show me what you can do on the floor..let’s dance…but they are so used to all these so called disrectful uchie mammas however you spell it…that’s not important you’all know what I mean..the way they dance & dress..I watch them..so nasty…put me to shame…I understand acholol and clubbing mixed together = sex and whatever else goes..but I still can respect myself..I guest that’s why I don’t get many dances..but guest what if I am at the right place some men can appreciate that….Back to Mr. Harvey being a pimp..we are so insane..we don’t know who’s for or against us…we don’t look at what a person contributes to our race..whether black or white we look at the book..just adding a comment from earlier subjects…. you know, there is enough ignorance to go around black, white, yellow, etc..however, not having all day on this site…if it were not for many people of other races..white etc. fighting for what was wrong…and also dying we would not be here..therefore, to condemn all caucasians & other race of people for the ills of those whose sole goal is to destroy our race as well as other races…is self destructive..we have just as much self destroying black folks who can give a d– about if our race continue on this earth…if our young men prosper and can contribute this this world in a positive way…they are also bent on doing the “so called master’s deeds” and guest what, they almost do it better!! I think God that there are some of us who have the knowledge and the wisdom .. we all can contribute and uplift our race by just knowing what is right and what is wrong…developing morals, values and principles…treating others like you what to be treated..not to say we can treat everyone like we want to be treated..we’ve been blessed with enough FREEDOM TO BE ABLE TO GO TO THE LIBRARY….NOW WE HAVE THE INTERNET..THE INFORMATION IS OUT THERE…I’ve come to the realization that no matter what we do or how much we try to recapture our greatness..there are forces out there who’ll always undermine, conquuer to destroy..some of you probably remember because we forget so soon….but there was the house n—- & the field n—-….facts…don’t underestimate the fact that it will always be that way..having melanin in your genes and having dark skin does not mean you support the upliftment of your race. Don’t be fooled. Anyway..thank Mr. Harvey.. If you listen to the crazy stuff that we do and allow to happen to us..whether man or women you would think differently about the book..he never professed to know it all or to have all the answers..he speaks from point of view of a man who probably been there and done that..why can some of you understand LOGIC..!!!1**if you hate your race and don’t want to see your race uplifted & young boys and girls become strong leaders of the future and not gang bangers and thugs…with pants hanging and sagging then then don’t hide behind the sheets…black or white….we are fighting for our surviival…our future…o, I must dispel something that Dr. Boyce indicated…although we do have many good, strong Blackmen .. they are too far and in between … its a fact that the ratio of blackmen are less than the ratio of blackwomen gettiing degrees and trying to do better in this society, considering what we are all working against..I blame white supermacy and I blame us…I don’t have kids my son is 33 and he is a manager at a cell phone company..he understands that he must play the role in how he dress and get some edgemacation..in order to get somewhere and have something in this white dominated society..this, however, can only make him a better person..but only if he or you have the understanding of self..but what are most of us doing….putting those dreads in our little boys hair..yes, our brother & sistahs where them as a cultural identify…but that’s not most of you are wearing them now..and the sloppy dress wear..look at many blackmen and how they dress..always pulling up the pants..and have them sagging..spitting everywhere because of all those different flavored and assortment of cirgars..another fade….we have been trained so well to fall for anything…now if we know the pants hanging is from jail..why they h– would someone want to emulate that..is beyond any comprehension..and it is embarassing..if you want to embarrass yourself and don’t care how you act of look in the public..that fine..but those of us fighting to demand respect by how we act and carry ourselves..we all get bundled al together all the prejudices…I try to carry myself so when a young black or white child or female see me…I show the pride that our ancestors faught and died for .. now we have the masses who have been trained so well to be rebellious against their nature to dig us into hell..we better do something fast..& if you say something to a parent that’s got that gang rapping, ignorant music or doing something negative in front of the child..they want to fight or they defend their child knowing that they are wrong … being a parent is a job not a fade..having children just to be having is creating a generation of misfits…think about it… look around you..as you drive or walk or ride up the street .. go to any city the same thing..worst is some….we are talked about like dogs because that’s how some of us act…most of us contribure to our own self destruction….facts not fiction not my theories…

24. Keep it Real July 26, 2012 at 5:06 pm

I don’t know how many times I have to write this same thing on blogs that bring up this subject and Steve Harvey. Anyone who listens to someone who doesn’t know what the hell they are talking about and buys a book written by them is an idiot. Only in the celebrity worship world of Black America could or would a bunch of fools read a book or listen to a man who has been divorced several times write ‘advice’ about relationships. Do any of you also own the book written by the Captain of the Titanic on How to Sail in Winter Conditions? Was it a good book? Insightful? If Steve Harvey were 80 years old and had been married to the same damn woman, all his kids were happy and healthy, grandkids and no one was in jail or dying of Aids. I would listen to this man give me relationship advice. He is not any of those things. He is a dumb ass comedian. As for the ever used ‘hating’. When someone calls bullshit on something that is freakin’ stupid that is not hate. It’s honesty. I guess Steve’s next book is going to be titled “Think like a Basketball Player and become an Astronaut”. Even though he was never successful at either of those things. I’m sure y’all will apologize for him and make excuses for that stupid crap too.

• Anon July 26, 2012 at 7:47 pm

Unless you have experienced something first hand chances are you have no idea what it was like. The fact that Steve hasn’t been happily married with the perfect 2.5 kids means he knows what causes problems/ issues and hopefully how to avoid it. He has been there done that and bought the T-Shirt! He isn’t doing anything a good friend or good parent wouldn’t do. Trying to keep us from making the same mistakes HEi made. What’s so horrible about that?
      You don’t have to accept every word he says/writes, pick out what fits your life and disregard the rest.

P.S. To Knowledge, you made alot of very good points. :)

25. GemGirl July 26, 2012 at 7:45 pm

In my opinion, this is the bottom line (quoted directly from Dr. Boyce’s article): Morton argues that men like Harvey have profited handsomely from the black female relationship crisis by convincing women to believe that they are in a dire state of affairs when actually, things are not quite as bad as the media makes them out to be.

Things really are not quite as bad for black women as many, including the media, make it seem. I am a black woman and have never been in shortage of access to men who can be helpful in mutually-beneficial ways. Sometimes it has required going outside the black race — not because other men are somehow better or worse than black men — but because I have been a woman who is true to herself. I dated based on common interests and compatibility with a man, not allowing his race, educational level or amount of income — but his character, values, sense of responsibility and decency to be the most important factors for companionship.

26. ruserious July 27, 2012 at 10:16 am

boyce, you’re a hypocrite…isn’t this the pot calling the kettle black.

27. evelyn July 27, 2012 at 12:34 pm

pimpin women for tellin them how to deal with these negros? dont yall see how dum women are for these men? how they let men dawg them out, molest and beat there children take there money? cheat on them and get diseases and take them back still? and you critisize this man for tellin these women how to think like a man? and stop being a fool just to have a feel good ina bed around? i pitiy the fool baby really. steve wasnt always the steve we hear from as he is today, hes done most if not all of the no good things he tells us women to look out for. hell boyce your a man, youll never tell the bs youve done to a woman , even it it was only one or two . you aint perfect now.”stop being in dinial boyce ,let the truth be told “

28. Wanda July 27, 2012 at 4:53 pm

I don’t view Mr. Harvey’s book as an avenue to pimp women by any means. I purchased the last book literally to read about his take on relationships between males and females. To be honest, I was disappointed in the book. It was no way near being at the level that I expected. Actually, I agree on most of his positions about relationships and marriages. I don’t agree with anyone on everything because I have my own mind and way of thinkng. However, I merely believe that Steve Harvey is just using his experiences as a male to give a male’s perspective on certain relationship issues, particularly between black females and black males. Studies have shown that black men marry less frequently than other ethnic groups, have a tendency to marry outiside their race more frequently, and when they do, marry white women more so than other males of other groups. Those are results of studies. Where these studies were conducted, I have no idea. So with just those two issues, it imposes a problem for black females to have the opportunities to develop healthy long-term relationships with our black men. I am a older female that has never blamed the black male for all the relationship problems because some women have low expectations for themselves and for the men that they encounter. I don’t believe that black men and women have any more problems than say, white men and women. But I do believe that the media, sociologists, and professionals in certain fields have a tendency to portray black males and females as being in conflict with one another. When the truth being told, anyone getting married today has only a 50% chance of staying married, regardless of the race of the couple. Asians actually have a lower divorce rate than any other ethnic group. Not necessarily because they love and commit any deeper, but because they place a much higher value on marriage than Americans in general. I love the opposite gender, but I also have established my own set of values that I also require when getting involved with the opposite sex such as: honesty, good character, respectfulness, charisma, good sense of humor, generosity, dependable, handsome, neat appearance, loyalty, intelligence, motivated, and focused to name several but not all. I am not perfect and realize that men are not perfect creatures. However, I do expect them to be men once they are adults and put themselves in adult situations. There is extremely too much game-playing and mind- games among black adults, male and females. If everyone would just make a commitment to treat others as they would like to be treated, that would stop alot of the foolishness within the black race. Everyone needs to just step back and go back to our roots and our forefathers’ ways of doing things. They could not have overcame their enslavement by being divided, although there were sell-outs back then, that only had their own personal agendas in mind. Most of them did not survive and we will not survive by attacking one another, being jealous or compeitive with one another, or selling out to other races. Stop blaming black males, stop blaming black females, stop blaming white society, white men, white women, the government, stop categorizing, stop stereotyping, stop critcizing, stop the name-calling, accept your own failures and responsibilities, stop, stop, stop, all of this insanity!
    United we stand, divided we fall! That’s a fact for all of America, not just the black race. Let’s join together and have a good time lovng and respecting each other for change. Let’s start fresh! I love my black men but can be equal opportunity if that doesn’t work. I am laughing and shaking my head at all this conversation about us!

29. Wanda July 27, 2012 at 4:53 pm

30. loren c. jones July 28, 2012 at 8:06 am

If we would take the hatred out of our harts and not be afraid to
    love one another deeply, leave the games to the kids, lets communicate as friends and not as enemy’s, then you would
    not have to listen to Steve Harvey who has been married 3 or 4
    times himself, trying to tell you how to get you’re [shyiet] together
    lets cut the [shyiet] and be honest with each other,stop trying
    to be so hard and be kind and loving to one another, that’s the only way this things going to work, anything less is just uncivilized.
    Blessings Always L.C.J.

31. Ms. Understood July 29, 2012 at 1:48 pm

Hello and Good Day everyone, I have read all the comments on this message board. I must say we have some very strong opinions of the book Steve Harvey wrote. I have to agree I read the book and found it to be full of ideas from His perspective on ow to act like a Lady. Although I did not find it to he helpful to me. Still Im not here to bash him..the book is just plain ole common sense. Read it ..digest it and use it to suit You. We are all different, depending on how we choose to live our lives as individuals. I like what Knowledge spoke of it was so on point…as if I was speaking it myself…thank You !, Wanda, thank you for your input it was insightful….really. Loren,C. thank You! But most importantly we as a Race of color , can we all just stop the hatred, bigotry, and learne to love ourselves as God loes us All, I do admit that women, not all some please stop playing games, and men learn to treat us with the respect and dignity we All deserve. this is not the 40′s, and 50′s or the 60′s anymore what your daddy may have told you to treat a woman as a dog, beat her, slap her, or never give her your heart. Is crazy… what you saw him do womanize or cheat on your momma may not have been right. But do your best to be different and do right by th one you have and treat her with the utmost respect,. So one day your daughter will and can be proud of you. And she can pick a man that mimics you. Loving, Proud, strong and respectful….first. Why is is so hard for us,… this race to work at being loving for the good of our young generation. They should not have to turn to movies, or the television to see positive roles it should be that way in every house hold. blessings…to All

32. Brique July 29, 2012 at 4:52 pm

Why do Black people always have to bash each other and just tear each other down. I see it happening all the tIme to different black celebrities. I think you’re using Steve to boost your own career and in a slick way trying to praise yourself. When will you mind your business and make your own real contribution. Stop using your forum to bash and put down hard working black people and focus on you. What have you done. I think the book helped some but not all.

Harvey is successful and you’re jealous. It’s just a book people. It’s not his responsibility to be an example to any woman. He stated it like he understands it. It’s not the bible it’s just a book. Eat the fish and spit out the bones. If it doesn’t apply, read something else.

33. DaMoj July 31, 2012 at 2:15 am

Wow, looks like Steve Harvey got up under a lot of peoples skin.
    1-No body’s perfect and that includes the entire world-since we have so many responses with this note of perfectionism.

2-None of us are without issues and baggage.

3-It’s up to each individual to motivate themselves from their current situation and seek self-improvement.

I’ve been married for 10yrs now and I still learn something new about my relationship or how to make it better. It’s not complicated at all, We make it complicated.

I read Harvey’s book, somethings I can actually use and others I don’t need. I don’t agree on a lot of what he says and some things about men make sense to me…you know like that Aha! moment.
    And for the most part I read his book as if it were and essay because that’s all it is. They are his opinions and we all know the saying about opinions. You can’t take everything you read for Gospel. “Don’t believe anything you hear and only half of what you read” Benjamin Franklin

34. Shirley August 2, 2012 at 2:45 pm

I’m a first born Child and my Mother wanted a Boy, instead she got me so I was raised like a boy and given good sense. My Dad was right there to teach me how to throw a punch and don’t be the last one to get hurt. I was a tomboy until about 13 when boys started to look good to me. But, I raised NOT to be a dummy. Follow your first mind cuz that’s God leading you out of trouble – My Dad used to say and I’m still doing that – thanks Dad. Guys say I think like a Man – but hey, whatever works for you. I see Sisters taking Men at face value – no me – I go way deeper from the onset. So no, Steve ain’t pimpin’ – he’s telling you what your Parents should have taught you before you left home – don’t let nobody pee on you, tell you it’s raining and you go and get an umbrella. You better get tough about your life and your standards or you’ll be the one left standing looking stupid.

35. L Noah August 3, 2012 at 12:56 am

Women need to think like Men, As much as possible. Except for when it comes to sex.

36. Caroline August 5, 2012 at 12:14 pm

I have read this book from front to back 2 times. I personally don’t view at Steve pimpin women. Its a good read. I think everyone is entitled to their opinion. I honestly think everyone has taken t out of context. Then again some women could take lessons from it as well as some men.
    As a woman who raised my children by myself cause their dad thought the streets was more important than his children. I was left to do a mans job. Yes I taught my sons how to do many things that I feel his father should have. I was the mom who played football and basketball with my boys, built go carts, put up dry wall painted a whole house and even taught them how to treat women with RESPECT. I say this cause I have a good man in my life today who stops at nothing for me. He had to tell or demand me to let him be a man. We would both notice a leaky water pipe n I would grab the tools to fix it. Till one day we had a long (three day) talk. So I have learned to sit back n let him be a man.
    Steve do what he do cause he can n as I said some women n men could take alesson or two from his book. Go Steve I love you

37. Ms. Monica August 9, 2012 at 9:28 am

Hater Federation!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

38. cburley August 22, 2012 at 3:38 pm

What the f**^k? what does thinking like a man have to do with pimping? I think some people have forgotten the whole title of the book, the title say “think like a man, and act like a lady”, you can still be a lady, and reason like a man, most women can already out think a man anyway. All the book, I did not see the movie, but what I got from the title of the book, is when in a relationship, you can reason like a man, and still stay a lady. What is all the hoopla about, trying to create something that is not there. Come on Dr. Boyce

39. REV "D" August 24, 2012 at 12:03 am

Willie Lynch is Alive and Well. The Seed reproduces after “HID” KIND.

40. REV "D" August 24, 2012 at 12:06 am

Correction The SEED reproduces after “HIS KIND” Willie Lynch is alive in the hearts of those who are not and desire others to be like them. A Pimp can only pimp those who want to be pimped. IT all Starts and end with Father’s being Fathers.

41. Yvonne Renee Davis August 27, 2012 at 10:16 pm

I have not read Steve Harvey’s book. I believe it is a very harsh indictment that one would label Mr. Harvey a Pimp because he is advising black women on how to “think like a man.” There is an assumption to think like a man means one would automatically use or pimp – a logic and reason fallacy.

When it comes to social scientific research; there is bias, poor data collection and so many other unreliable sourcing when studies are conducted. We should all remember at one time there were studies that said black people were mentally inferior to white people and there were examples to prove it. We all know the racism in these studies made the entire research faulty and bogus.

We have a social problem in the black community and it is centered around black-on-black relationships between men and women. There is an issue and not a made up fact about the percentage of black women heading households due to single mother hood.

I do not think Steve Harvey needs me to defend him, but I think women do not know the ins and outs of men, and to have a man provide practical tips on how to understand the language, action and communication by men when they are interacting with us. Is what he says is fool proof, absolutely not. We can all sight someone we know who was not at all like what Mr. Harvey described. There are of course the exceptions.

Buying the Steve Harvey book is NOT a lot of money. Let us be real. Having a love of self, positive energy and taking good care of one’s body, does not guarantee a woman will find or attract the black man of her dreams or desires.

In Negotiations, the person who is able to think like and understand the opposite side, comprehend their interests, find the win-win and the strengths and weaknesses will be in a better position to get to zone of possible agreement or even a win or win-win. In relationships it is the dance; the game of attraction. If someone of the opposite sex wants to give some advice, it is okay to be open and listen.

Finally in terms of opportunist. That is a cliche that gets thrown around so much with persons in the spot light. We live in a Capitalist society; so if Mr. Harvey wants to make money from what he does (comedian turned relationship expert and talk show host), he has the freedom to have life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. Black women have the free will to choose if they ultimately listen or not.

Perhaps the discussion should not be only focused on black men, but men in general when it comes to relationships with women. But of course there is a study out there that says African American women are the only racial demographic who are less likely to date outside of their race. Maybe that study is not valid either and sends a message.

Finally, the author of this article is way too literal. Mr. Harvey is not asking women to adopt a new mental model that is masculine. Titles are meant to attract and it has done the job by attracting the author and others to write about it.

42. Jay September 28, 2012 at 2:51 pm

HATE HIM!…….HATE THE “NEW” SHOW!………IT IS BORING, NON-PROVOCATIVE AND HE HAS UNIFORMED, UNEDUCATED AND SIMPLY IDIOTIC SOLUTIONS TO PATHETIC PROBLEMS……THIS SHOW IS ALL ABOUT HIM AND HIS “EGO”, NOT ABOUT INFORMING AND EDUCATING THE PUBLIC……….SHOULD HAVE STAYED ON RADIO!!….AND EVEN THAT WAS “GHETTO”…………AND FOR GOD’S SAKE, WHAT THE HELL MADE “CUE BALL” SHAVE HIS DAMN HAIR OFF AND GO WITH THE “ISAAC HAYES” LOOK!………..SMILING WITH HIS CROOKED TEETH MAKES HIM LOOK EVEN UGLIER!!!!……………GRADE = F

43. RICK September 28, 2012 at 2:52 pm

Has anyone see the picture of the “crew” from the Steve Harvey morning show?……This is the only show that two ugly, fat black women giving stupid advice, while kissing Steve Harvey’s ass!! (look a their picts. online at the Steve Harvey home page) – Tragic!!!…………And a damn sidekick, who’s career and name recognition is built on riding the coat tails of an Uncle??….And he even calls his dumbass self ‘NEPHEW TOMMY” – What the hell is that?…….No wonder he is so damn short…….his brain must have stunted his growth!!……..Pathetic!

44. King January 1, 2013 at 3:31 pm

I am a black Male and I know a few women (one of them being my mother) that read his book and I will tell you what I witnessed in there attitudes after they Read this book…..

1) False sense of Happiness- I notice that women that read this book may act a lot more happier, which is good. The problem is that this happiness is for based around them thinking that they can now attract the man that will erase all there Misery.

2)Thinking That They Know Everything About How Everything About Men- I’ve noticed that the women I know that read this book now feel that they are experts on how men think but in reality they only no how to spot out a Thug.

3)Feeling That They Are Rightous- the women I know that read this book treat this book like it’s a new bible and feel that they are now one with god for reading it. They speak bad about other men and women but don’t notice that as being negative. A matter of Fact the women I know that read his book spend alot of there time watching Trash TV and if you cannot notice or see the effects that this type of entertainment does to the pyche then you are no different then the stars of this trash.

4)Still Angry- in the end I wittnessed these same women are still angry but not only because of the men they dealt with in the past but more because they really haven’t done anything to eliminate the baggage that they are still holding on to.

Alot of the things I mentioned are the typical things you can see at your local Black Church and Again that is Steve Harvey’s Niche Market . In the end this book seems to be all about extending the pulpit into your dating life. This may be a solution for some but defintely not for MOST.

45. mercel February 15, 2013 at 7:34 pm

all of you folks who criticize steve because he did not have perfect relationships in his life. think about this. the priest counsels couples on relationships and he’s never been married a day in his life. as far as tavis and cornell west they need to grow up and give up the jealously before it eats them alive. both obama and steve are more of a man than either of them will ever be. at least they don’t hold onto the petty grudges like these to do.