City of Sanford Uproots Trayvon Martin Memorial, Infuriating African-American Residents
The Sanford city manager said moving a makeshift memorial for Trayvon Martin was done at the request of residents near the townhomes where the shooting took place.
“The citizens living in the area had become concerned that this incident was defining their neighborhood,” Norton Bonaparte said. The “incident” Bonaparte is describing is the murder of unarmed teen Trayvon Martin by self-appointed neighborhood watch captain George Zimmerman.
According to the Orlando Sentinel:
…..the city of Sanford announced Monday afternoon that officials had removed items left as a “curbside memorial” outside Retreat at Twin Lakes, the townhouse community where the 17-year-old was shot.
In a statement, the city said the items were moved “[i]n an effort to protect and preserve the remaining Trayvon Martin curbside memorial items….”
The statement released by the city of Sanford also said that it had communicated with Trayvon Martin’s family before removing the memorial:
In an effort to protect and preserve the remaining Trayvon Martin curbside memorial items, and after communicating with representatives of Trayvon Martin’s family,” the statement read, “Sanford City Manager, Norton Bonaparte announced that the curbside memorial site items placed outside the entrance of the Retreat at Twin Lakes Subdivision in Sanford have been taken to the Sanford Museum as of 2:30 pm today by city staff. All the items retrieved have been carefully handled and inventoried.
But many members of the African-American community reject that assessment for why the Trayvon Martin memorial was disassembled. An attorney for the Martin family says the family was contacted, but the family referred the issue to community leaders.
And Francis Oliver, who runs the black history museum in Sanford’s Goldsboro neighborhood, said the city had been pushing to have the makeshift memorial removed since Trayvon Martin was murdered.
Powered by Facebook Comments